Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 4th, 2003, 10:50 PM   #1
jfvincent

Shop Recommendation for seat belt

I would like to participate in the next Time Trial season, so I need to get my Boxster prepared i.e. 5/6 points harnest + fire estinguisher (no need for a roll bar extension this year)

Any shop recommendation that know how to do the job?

Jean
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:14 PM   #2
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

where are you located? *NM*

Old December 4th, 2003, 11:15 PM   #3
Dan (san jose)

Re: Shop Recommendation for seat belt

Jean,
Depending on where you live, there are many shops afiliated with GGR for just this type of service. If you go to the GGR website and look under links you can find local Porsche mechanics and there are a lot of them.
Many specialize in just what you need. (prep for the track)
the belts are something you could do yourself with just a little help from some one who has done it , there is even a hack page on Babblers that talks about installing belts for the track.
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #4
jfvincent

Re: where are you located?

Cupertino

I took a look at the Brey-Krause web site but I do not know what I need... I want to keep the factory seats and do not want to "drill anything through the floor.

Jean
Old December 5th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Ed in Belmont

You need a R-9001 from brey krause to mount the inboard lap belt and sub strap. You will also need 2 eye-bolts to mount the outside lap belt and sub belt. When you order your belts get wrap-around style for the shoulder belts and snap in style for the lap belt and sub strap. You should be able to get the eyebolts from whomever you order the belts from. Usually they will throw them in with the belt order. If they do then get 4 as I need a pair. Make sure you tell them that you want a 6 point harness belt so that they give you a long enough sub strap.

You can also get the R-2020 which will mount the extinguisher to the bottom of the seat.

While you can get any fire extinquisher the $10 ones at home depot are not the best for car fires as the chemical used is hard to clean up afterwards in the event that you have to use it. Others suggest you use the Sodium Bicarbonate ones such as

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=F01&Category_ Code=MDI

If you want to use Halon then you have to get a 5 lb one not 2.5 lb in order to comply with the rules.

This is a do it yourself install if you have the right tools. The only unusual tool is a 10 mm torx socket to remove the seat bolts. I have heard that a regular 10 mm socket works also.

If you want help with the install let me know, especially if you get the extra 2 eyebolts.
Old December 6th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #6
jfvincent

I just came back from Frey Racing (Saturday, 3h30 pm).... they were closed!(I called Renn Wreck and they sugested me to go to Frey to take a look). I took a look at my car and it does not seam there is a lot of clearance between the seat and the console/frame of the door. Unscrewing the lapbelt must be painfull...( that is were "xmas elf" would get handy with their little hands )

I have not made my mind about what kind of harnest I want (5 vs 6 point) since I keep the factory seat I think a 6 points will work best. (the main goal of those belt are to work in a time trial crash... I think the 6 points is more effective when you do not have a "hole" in the middle of your seat)

Jean
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM   #7
Larry Nakamura (In SJ)

Re: Shop Recommendation for seat belt

Have you tried looking/asking on the Boxster racing
board? The link is under favorite links on the left.
There are many who have done the 5/6 point harness
and do alot of track events. They should be able to
point you in the right direction. Depending on how
soon you need them, I would recommend going to an
event or two to see how they did them first hand.
It will save you alot of time and trouble.
Old December 7th, 2003, 12:31 AM   #8
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

IMHO, a 5-point setup is more versatile. You can always use it as a 6-point system by attaching a V or Y belt to the single lap belt attachment point. It's not so elegant to use a 6-point buckle with a single sub-strap which goes through a race seat. (Believe me, eventually you *will* want a race seat.)

I am very happy with my setup. I use a Y sub-strap arrangement, with a strap attached to the rear lap belt mount points, and another strap attached to it which comes up through the race seat. This strap can be easily adjusted to keep the sub-strap snug if the seat is moved.
Old December 7th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #9
Ed in Belmont

That is why you have to take the seat out. You have no choice if you want to use the brey krause hardware.

Also if you want to use their fire extinguisher mount you have to remove the seat to mount it.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #10
jfvincent

hummm... I have "heated seats So I guess it is going to be even more difficult. Need to "unplug" the seat first!

JF

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman