Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 11th, 2001, 11:54 PM   #1
Tool Pants

Another Babblers hack, a duo hack?

It may be hard to believe but some boxsters do not come with the trip computer or the cruise control stalks. The no option car.

The Babblers already know how to retrofit the trip computer stalk for '97-'01 for cars that did not come with that option.

A '00-'01 cruise control retrofit may be next from someone who does not have the cruise control stalk, or obc stalk. Put in a 4 stalk switch , the wires, and turn it on with PST2. The duo hack. Trip computer and cruise control at the same time even if your car did not come with those options.

Will you '00-'01 owners with 5 or 6 speed manual trannys and cruise control look at your clutch switch(s) and tell me what you see. Same thing for '00-'01 tips.

Thanks. Jeff
Old July 12th, 2001, 12:04 AM   #2
Tool Pants

Well, I guess the tips will not have a clutch switch *NM*

Old July 12th, 2001, 07:50 AM   #3
Lee in Rochester, NY

Hey, I have a lot of options on my car!

but I don't have the cruise control or the OBC stalks. They just didn't seem appropriate in a sports car (to me). Way back in 2000, when I ordered my car, you could choose the things that you liked out of the sport package, which for me were the windstop, HiFi sound, and CD player, without having to get the cruise control. I even ordered flared rocker panels without having to buy the whole aerokit.

I think that it's really cool that you are going to install cruise on a car that didn't come with it. If I replace my "batwing" panel with the one from the 996 with four switch positions, I could have switches for all the cruise and OBC functions without stalks. Come to think of it, like the OBC, you don't need all four functions to have useful cruise control. All you really need is "Set", though "Resume" is also handy.
Old July 12th, 2001, 08:23 AM   #4
Lee in Rochester, NY

Here's what my car has...

It is a '00 S without cruise control. It has two switches at the clutch, one which activates when the clutch is slightly depressed, and another which activates when it is fully depressed. The first of these has a Yellow/Black wire and a Black wire. The second has a Yellow/Violet wire and a Brown. Looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks like my car has both the clutch cruise control switch and the clutch interlock switch.

Hmmm. I'll bet that it has the other cruise control wires, as well, even though it doesn't have the stalk. It makes sense that, since most Boxsters have cruise control, they would probably have the wiring there in all the cars, since it would save them a variation of the wiring harness. Frankly, I'm surprised that I have both clutch switches.
Old July 12th, 2001, 11:25 AM   #5
Tool Pants

Thanks Lee

I wondered if a non cruise control car had the clutch cruise control switch wired in. Now if there is a connector for the cruise control stalk pig tail already in place in the steering column housing, then it is going to be easy to retrofit cruise control with the stalk. I also like the idea of trying to do it was a dash swtich, for those people with long legs.

Daryl of the Babblers does not have the stalks for the trip computer or cruise control on his '00 S.
Will be interesting to get both options for the cost of a 4 stalk switch assembly.

Jeff
Old July 12th, 2001, 02:20 PM   #6
Darryl (in Saratoga)

More CC follow-up

I took the steering column apart to see if there was a connector hiding. No such luck. I also checked the switches on the clutch pedal and my setup is the same as that stated by Lee - 2 switches.

I took some digital photo's but I'm not sure I will have time to post them before I leave. If not it will have to wait until next weekend. Hawaii calls...

Darryl

2000 S - no OBC, no CC
Old July 12th, 2001, 02:34 PM   #7
Paul S.

Re: Thanks Lee

Jeff,

Do you have all the info you need from the clutch pedals from Lee? If not, I can take a look tonight when I leave work and post what I find later this evening.
Old July 12th, 2001, 07:27 PM   #8
Tool Pants

That's ok, both Lee & Darrly have it confirmed *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman