Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 20th, 2001, 12:07 PM   #1
Bruce (01/SLG/Bk/Bk)

Roof Hack

I did the Roof hack, Bend pin 18 and cut off pin 15 on cabriolet relay,However it created problems. The speed sensor #18 controls the sound curve in the amp adjusting treble/bass/fad/volume based on speed. When you cut this for the Top hack, it screws up the "quality" of the radio.

Can you tell me what route the wire from pin #18 takes (color also) and where it ends up interfacing with whatever controls the top. I like the Top hack, but cannot use the existing hack because of the radio issue. I need to
stop the speed signal to roof somewhere beyond where the AMP senses it.
Old July 20th, 2001, 03:38 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: Roof Hack

There is noting in the relay that sends any signals to the amp. The relay merely uses the speed information on pin 18 to determine if the car is stopped or not. Pin 15 is used to determine if the handbrake is on or not. Neither input has anything to do with the audio system. It may be possible that not having a load on pin 18 causes a problem but I seriously doubt it. Without seeing what the waveform looks like in both a loaded and unloaded state though it's all just speculation.
Old July 20th, 2001, 04:12 PM   #3
Tool Pants

Thought it was bend 18 and ground 15

Not cut or bend pin 15. But I was not paying attention. Here is Jason's post.

Sandy or Lee, can you check the wiring diagrams to see if the top relay has anything to do with the radio. Never heard of one thing having to do with the other. Thanks.

Jeff Lopez

top hack thread
Old July 20th, 2001, 05:12 PM   #4
Bruce (01/SLG/Bk/Bk)

Re: Thought it was bend 18 and ground 15

I did the top hack and the speed dependent volume hack at the same time.

SDV hack involves remove pin 18 and place wire from pin #18 slot to radio for direct access to radio SDV

I put the hacked relay back in BUT this time i
did NOT place the SDV wire in the old pin 18 slot to radio. PERFECT.

Apparently the SDV hack does not work well with DSP. It does noticably increase the volume starting at about 40MPH, but by changing the sound curve made the music below 40mph flat and above 60mph distorted. I'll use the knob to
adjust volume.
Old July 20th, 2001, 05:45 PM   #5
Magic Mtn Dan

Something is amiss here...

The SDV feature from the factory doesn't work effectively if you have the DSP unit. The SDV Hack utilizes the "socket" where pin #18 plugs in. A number of us have done the Rolling Top Hack (which enables you to raise/lower the top while rolling as long as you lift the E-brake lever at least one click) which involves bending over pin #18. Both Hacks can be done at the same time and both (at least on the 2000 Model Year cars) work very well.
Old July 20th, 2001, 06:04 PM   #6
Bruce (01/SLG/Bk/Bk)

Re: Something is amiss here...

Both hacks worked but SDV made music "muddy" but mine is an 01, is there a difference in the way AMP/DSP/and SDV interact in 01. I know the AMP for 01 is different than 97-00.
Old July 20th, 2001, 07:32 PM   #7
Spence in San Jose

All this talk

about hacking SDV, why are we even having to do this. We should all be complaining to Porsche about this "FEATURE" that doesn't work so that they may fix the problem. I like others have noticed that SDV doesn't work on my car or at least if it does, it does not come near what I feel the change in volume would be. Yes, I have DSp and have tried turning off the DYN, but I could barely notice a difference.

There are two mics in the cabin, why couldn't they wire it so that the radio would take note of noise level in the cabin and adjust the volume accordingly. It would adjust a little with the top and windows up at high speed and a lot with the top down at high speed. Whether the top is up, it would be the same level at low speed. Now that would be engineering at its finest. Hey Ed(Sharky), maybe this would be a job for your new project.

Spence

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman