Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Tom M
Site Founder

It had to happen sooner or later...

I drove the Boxster today for the 1st time in 3 weeks and ran into a mess of problems.
  1. I've been having a gasoline odor enter the cabin on firm stops for some time now & it's still doing it. It clears right out if the windows are down but will return on the next stop. Doesn't seem to matter how full the tank is.
  2. I stopped at home and noticed the CEL was lit. The reader showed P1128 & P1130. I cleared them and they haven't returned but I've only done a couple of trips since then.
  3. Finally, on the last trip home the car threw a lot of smoke on start-up but didn't seem to be blowing any while driving. I stopped/started the car a couple of times once I got home and it blew smoke each time so I'm guessing it's time for an AOS replacement. This may also be what caused the CEL.
For now the car is in the garage until I can get the AOS taken care of.

If anyone has an idea on the gas smell I'm open as I haven't been able to smell anything when outside the car.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #2
flintworks

The gas smell is a weird one. Never heard of that. No fuel leaks on the ground or anything?
http://www.flintworksauto.com/porsche
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
flintworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

None that I've ever noticed. It's obviously gas splashing/sloshing around when stopping but it doesn't seem to do it on hard starts. The fact that it isn't constant makes it that much harder to trace. I'm guessing it's some really small hole someplace that lets some partial drop of fuel get out somewhere by the fresh air intake but that's pure conjecture.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #4
ppbon

Why don't you check ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
None that I've ever noticed. It's obviously gas splashing/sloshing around when stopping but it doesn't seem to do it on hard starts. The fact that it isn't constant makes it that much harder to trace. I'm guessing it's some really small hole someplace that lets some partial drop of fuel get out somewhere by the fresh air intake but that's pure conjecture.
... to see if the odor is stronger at the battery.
The gas tank access is right under the battery tray.
There's a round rubber gasket that tends to swell with age and can allow vapor leaks.
Since it is also next to the cabin filter, the gasoline smell can easily make it into the cabin.
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

Thanks, Pedro. Is this the gasket that is part of the sending unit?

The Bentley manual mentions a special tool to remove the locking collar. Is there a suggested alternative other than a hammer and drift of some sort?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #6
flintworks

Hammer and drift might work but the locking collar is plastic. I actually use oil filter pliers http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...6&blockType=L6
http://www.flintworksauto.com/porsche
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
flintworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw on a VW forum that someone used a modified 4" ABS hub so I may try that if I don't already have pliers that open wide enough.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Tom M
Site Founder

On the plus side I got the AOS replaced today and the smoke on start-up is now gone. I also replaced the gasket on the fuel tank. The one I removed didn't look like it had leaked but I think the new one has solved the gas odor problem so who knows?

I'll test it again tomorrow to confirm.

On the minus side, I've got a couple stitches on the knuckle of my index finger which got split open in 2 places when the bolt for the O2 sensor bracket let go and my knuckle slammed into the edge of something sharp. I cleaned it up a bit when it happened, stuck a band-aid on it along with a glove and finished the job. After I got cleaned up I headed over to the ER to have it looked at. It was sliced down to the bone but no tendon damage so at least that was good.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Tom M
Site Founder

OK. So I did some more testing and the gas odor is still there after the gasket change.

The dealer suggested pulling the wheel liner to see if it's the filler tube or associated valves that may be leaking. I'll wait until my finger has healed a bit more to tear into that. One other bit of info is that there are no CEL related events so if it's something that's gone bad it's not related to any parts that store error codes.

It does only seem to do it when a hard stop causes the fuel to slosh around in the tank whereas a moderate deceleration with a smooth stop doesn't result in any odor. Based on that it seems like it's something that happens at the rear of the tank.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #10
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
On the plus side I got the AOS replaced today and the smoke on start-up is now gone. I also replaced the gasket on the fuel tank. The one I removed didn't look like it had leaked but I think the new one has solved the gas odor problem so who knows?

I'll test it again tomorrow to confirm.

On the minus side, I've got a couple stitches on the knuckle of my index finger which got split open in 2 places when the bolt for the O2 sensor bracket let go and my knuckle slammed into the edge of something sharp. I cleaned it up a bit when it happened, stuck a band-aid on it along with a glove and finished the job. After I got cleaned up I headed over to the ER to have it looked at. It was sliced down to the bone but no tendon damage so at least that was good.

I was doing my brakes a few weeks back and while searching for a wrench in my tool box, found a wayward x-acto knife blade with the tip of my index finger. It took a few band-aid changes, but I finished the job.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman