Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 30th, 2002, 10:11 PM   #1
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Is there a TSB for the "windshield cracking noise" that occurs when

the temperature suddenly changes - like driving from shade to sun? It sounds like a sharp "crack".
Old October 1st, 2002, 04:32 AM   #2
Bill S

Re: Is there a TSB for the "windshield cracking noise" that occurs when

My 97 did it all the time...just this week I heard it from my 2000 S. AT first you think of a stone hitting the windshield but never a car to throw one up.
Bill S
Old October 1st, 2002, 09:15 AM   #3
Barry

Perhaps this is the Boxster Glass Gremlin reminding you to...

avoid getting behind those rock kicking trucks.

Actually, I didn't know this was a common problem...relieved to know it's not another manifestation of my Boxster paranoia.
Old October 1st, 2002, 09:20 AM   #4
jonathan

Might be

There are a couple possibiliies. There was a dash support weld that failed on some cars and would cause the cracking noise. More commonly is just the front plastic pieces (defroster trim, et al) making noise against each other and/or the glass when conditions are just right. There is a squeak and rattle TSB (lengthy) that covers that and almost every other item you can think of. I solved my problem by removing those pieces and leather wrapping them

jonathan
Old October 1st, 2002, 10:07 AM   #5
Sheriff John

I've thought my "crack" was from flexing.

Hmmm. I've opened myself up to some bad jokes with this title

I get this loud Crack or PoP a couple times a week. I usually get it when I go over a speed bump or something like that. I can never really figure out where it's coming from. Has a "plastic" sound to it too. What ever it is, it sure is loud!

A while back, I've heard that the clamps holding the windshield needs tightening, but I'm not sure where they are. I have tighted those diagonal roundish bars on either side of the battery, under those 2 plastic panels which are on either side of the battery. ??no clue if that does anything.
Old October 1st, 2002, 10:25 AM   #6
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

I've had all of the plastic piece noises resolved. This is definitely

thermal related at the A-pillars. Definitely not just plastic doing a little flexing/rubbing as it's far too sharp a "crack".
Old October 1st, 2002, 02:31 PM   #7
Terry

Same Problem

I've been curious about this one to sicne I have the same issue, and it always sounds like a stone hitting the windshild. Seems to happen most when I drive around at noon after the sun has warmed up.
Old October 1st, 2002, 02:40 PM   #8
Sheriff John

yes, I think it may be a thermal problem too.

I have toagree with Tom too. It's not plastic rubbing together.

With such a loud crack sound, I'll bet that if your hand is on the A pillar, or where ever it is, you'll be able to feel it.

It's a little frustrating. I'd like to know/figure out what and where it is.
Old October 1st, 2002, 04:20 PM   #9
kat. (Santa Cruz)

Re: Same Problem...me too... *NM*

Old October 1st, 2002, 06:38 PM   #10
Tool Pants©

One solution

It seems like half of the TSBs for Boxsters have to do with noise issues. One of these days I will put them all together and make a master list.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman