Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 25th, 2001, 10:47 AM   #1
Calvin Cheng

Got a ticket and then overheated my brakes

It's been a really costly Friday as I drove up to Thunderhill for the Donuts Racing event.
Got nailed first for going 92mph in a 70mph zone 11 miles from the Willows exit. I was kinda getting sleepy so wasn't paying much attention.
Next, my brake fluid overheated. I was telling myself how well the car was braking until it went out on me. I was very hard on the brakes this time round (probably more so than necessary given my skill level). Brake fluid was leaking out of the front left caliper. I lost all braking on the track and had to go off and then spun back to the other side. A more sobering thought is that I could have hit something if it's Laguna Seca and not Thunderhill.
I have ordered a Valentine One. A little too late this time Would be looking at the hack pages for tips, maybe needing Dan's mount.
I figure I should also have put on Pagid pads instead of the OEM ones a few weeks ago.
I also need to replace my brake fluid.
What do you guys recommend? What about steel brake lines, and if so, from who? Are there any cold air duct kits for Boxster brakes?
I'm also looking into a short shifter and pedals to aid my very bad shifting.
Old February 25th, 2001, 11:14 AM   #2
HP in SF

I sympathize with the ticket...

I also recently bought a V1, albeit after getting another ticket on N I280. However, if you've followed our recent discussion, you should still be careful even with a V1 onboard, especially at night.

Not sure if you have an S but the brakes on the S are definitely up to the rigors of track work. Many on the boxster racing board have said that the OEM pads are still the best for occasional track use. You might, however, change the brake fluid to Ate Super Blue, Motul or Castrol.

You should also check the boxster racing board.

HP

Boxster Racing Board
Old February 25th, 2001, 11:35 AM   #3
Barbie Boxster

Give a call to the "ticket dude" *NM*

Old February 25th, 2001, 12:44 PM   #4
Jay in SF

Hi Calvin!

boxster S rotors sound like just the ticket for you. If you want to go aftermarket, i'm not sure if "frozen rotors" make replacements for boxsters but i heard someone reccomended for porsches. should be worth looking into.

were you there the other week for the discussion of the "magic loophole"? for parking tickets in the bay area? the all mighty toolpants also has a good lawyer friend if you need one. you might want to ask him.
Old February 25th, 2001, 04:56 PM   #5
Calvin Cheng

Re: Hi Calvin!

Yup, definitely give a call to Harry, the ticket beater I'll be getting something in the mail I guess.
As for the brakes, I think it was more of a case of brake fluid boiling off than the brakes fading. As I sat in my friend's 500hp Supra, I realize I wasn't going quite that fast yet. So I'd replace my brake fluid and see what happens.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Google+

Copyright © 2001-2014 Babblers. All rights reserved.
Babblers is a Porsche Boxster and Cayman enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Porsche of Stuttgart, Germany.