Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 8th, 2001, 10:58 PM   #1
Magic Mtn Dan

2001 vs. 2000 - the differences...

Now that I'm temporarily driving a 2001 model year (MY) Boxster, I'm seeing some differences. These are the most obvious ones I've seen so far...I'm sure you know of others:

* Overhead light now has a switch rather than a pivoting light that switches it on/off
* There's some other (amber?) light up there too - maybe it's to help you see inside the car when you get in?
* Gauges are different color dials and trim rings (black) and speed is now in Tach area (don't like that so much - seems better to have speed inside tach so you can see both at same time). Other displays are different too (OBC).
* Trunk switches instead of levers
* Cupholders are an option (well, maybe they're standard if you don't have DSP?)
Old May 8th, 2001, 11:47 PM   #2
Catalog Guy

Re: 2001 vs. 2000 - the differences...

Do you have the bright light inside the door handle that shines on the keyhole?
Old May 8th, 2001, 11:49 PM   #3
Magic Mtn Dan

That's a rather personal question doncha think

I briefly looked for it but I didn't see it...I'll look again.
Old May 9th, 2001, 09:22 PM   #4
Richard

Re: That's a rather personal question doncha think

Its hard to see in daytime. Its like an LED in the door near the forward end of the arm rest assembly. If you sit in the drivers seat with door open you can see it if you lean forward, especially at night. It shines on the ignition where the key goes when door is shut.
Old May 9th, 2001, 10:25 PM   #5
Catalog Guy

How effective is the light? *NM*

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:28 PM   #6
Tom (Portland, OR)

I was wondering what that light did and after reading your post went into my pitch black garage to see if it worked. Once I open the doors the light from the dash provide more light than the weak beam from the door which actually points more towards the light switch than the key and doesn't really reflect that far.

Any other ideas what that beam of light is for?
Old May 10th, 2001, 08:12 AM   #7
Richard

The light beam in the door is definitly for illuminating the ignition switch at night when the door is closed. Hoe effective is it? Good question, I did once notice that it did illuminate the ignition switch on a dark night, but just barely. Did you close your door when testing its effectiveness?
MY01 'S' sg/blk/blk
Old May 11th, 2001, 12:24 AM   #8
Tom (Portland, OR)

stand corrected

with the door closed it does illuminate the keyhole, but it does seem odd if not redundant because the other interior/dash lights are much more effective at lighting the keyhole
Old May 15th, 2001, 08:46 AM   #9
Magic Mtn Dan

Another: Windows go up automatically once top is up & latched *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman