Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 28th, 2001, 02:34 PM   #1
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Some useless facts and other info from yesterdays trip to Livermore airport

The engines on the B17G burn/lose 1 Gallon of oil per hour. Each! The tanks hold 37 Gallons with the minimum useful level being 15 Gallons.

After touring the planes I spoke with an elderly gentleman that was a tail gunner on a B24. He moved to the Paratroops after 'only' 4 combat missions as he thought it was too dangerous.

I sprung for a late birthday present and took a ride on the 7 PM flight on the B17. Talk about an E ticket ride. It was fantastic! Eight passegers are allowed at a time. During takeoff & landing you have to be belted in but as soon as the plane is up it's OK to roam around. We did a loop around the airport after takeoff and buzzed the runway. Then it was a little up in altitude for a 20 minute ride.

Talk about an unimpeded view sitting in the bombadiers seat. I'm just sorry I didn't have my camera for this experience. Looking out the side windows behind the pilot and copilot and seeing (and hearing) those engines was a real sensation. The top of the plane is open above the navigator. What a rush. Literally. You have to remove anything that might go flying out with 160 MPH winds. But what a sight looking back aft to the tail and seeing the world go by while in a turn. I think the thing that surprised me the most was how smooth the ride was even though it was a little breezy.

I'm definitely doing this again next year with a ride in the B24!

For those interested the planes are at Livermore airport until 2 PM Tuesday. They will both be going to Marysville, CA from the 29th - 31st after leaving Livermore. It may not be too late to book a ride on either the B17 or the B24. The B24 tends to have more open seats.

The Collings Foundation
Old May 28th, 2001, 06:03 PM   #2
x99shark

Beauty of a pic, sounds like a blast! *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Google+

Copyright © 2001-2014 Babblers. All rights reserved.
Babblers is a Porsche Boxster and Cayman enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Porsche of Stuttgart, Germany.