Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Booksix

2002 Boxster Tiptronic to Manual swap

Ok, I'm completely new to Porsche's but I was wondering how much work would be involved in a 2002 Porsche Boxster Tiptronic to Manual swap. Where could I find the manual trans? How much would I get for a complete tiptronic setup (including engine, steering wheel, wiring, all computers, etc...) and how much would the manual trans cost?

Also, could anyone tell me what I could get for a 97 Boxster engine, computer and wiring? How hard would it be to find a buyer? Thanks
Booksix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #2
jderianSF

more trouble than its worth

Since no one has jumped in, I'll do the honors. . .

It's probably way more trouble than it's worth. You could assume that the chassis are the same (with regards to hard mounting points etc.) but probably many, many other things are tip / manual only. Not to mention the suspension settings etc. Finding all those things, buying them and installing them is a pretty monumental task.

Not impossible, but with the dirth of excellent Boxsters out there, your time and money are better spent searching for and buying one with a factory conversion (as in -- its a factory manual car )

good luck,
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #3
TypeS

Simply put, sell the auto and buy a manual. Switching out everything necessary is probably a job no one's tackled as for instance you didn't begin to mention things like the shift linkage, wiring harness, sealing off transmission cooling lines, etc. Not to mention the probability that things invariably come up that are unexpected in such a swap and require fabrication. My guess is it would end up costing more than what I paid for my 2000S (manual).

Many years ago when I was a relatively new pro mechanic, I tried such a conversion on a Ford van (incredibly easy to work on compared to any Porsche I later worked on), and even consulting a relative guru on American hardware I decided to simply sell the Ford rather than go crazy trying to make things work.

In my experience, most cars' chassis are subtly different as to pick up points from auto to manual because the stress between the bell housings and motors of the two types of trannies are totally different. With an automatic torque is transferred via a fluid coupling, whereas with a manual it's through a friction plate, so even if you somehow made it work; and everything bolted right up, it's still possible that down the road bolts might break or fatigue cracks in chassis or components could develop from even the slightest misalignment.

Jack
TypeS is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.