Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #1
dsulu

auto vs. manual transmission

I have been thinking about my next Porsche and I would like it to have an auto transmission.

I have heard many said that auto transmission/auto-manual transmission would just take away the essence of a "sports" car.

I personally think that any Porsche Power plant is good and powerful enough to out perform almost any "sporty" road car whether it's mated to a manual or auto transmission. And difference is fairly marginal.

My questions is more on the reliability side of the both gears.

Given the same amount of usage (or abuse), which would last longer, manual or auto transmission?

What about TCO over 100k miles/10 years between auto and manual?
dsulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2
wbonsell

Tiptronic fan!

I have a 2000 Boxster with tiptronic. I just completed a DE day and I REALLY enjoyed using the tip....very slick. I have heard the Tips are less likely to experience a RMS issue. As far as longevity...well no clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing etc. I bought the tip so my wife could drive the car, but if I was doing it just for me, I would have to think long and hard about going back to a manual gearbox. For autox, DE, commuting, the Tip is fantastic!!!

2000 Boxster - Guards Red/Savannah Beige

"do the right thing...yield to faster traffic"
www.lanecourtesy.org
wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #3
oldskuracer

Manual! You don't want your left foot to miss out on the fun would you?
oldskuracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #4
arenared

This topic is endlessly debated. For me, it comes down to who I want making the decisions on what gear I'm in. You can tell my answer. Many people have perfectly valid other reasons for an auto such as traffic, spouse, etc.

Auto transmissions also have 1 less gear (than 6-speed anyway) and are more "lossy". The difference between a 6-speed manual and a Tip is typically pretty significant. Maybe not to you, though.

As far as reliability, I would argue that manual transmissions are more reliable, but have regular maintenance of clutch and associated parts replacement. Automatic transmissions also have clutch packs inside them. When an automatic bites the dust, it is generally MUCH more expensive to fix. I haven't looked at a service schedule, but I would guess the Tip fluid gets replaced more frequently.

Over 100K miles, a manual will be cheaper because even though you can expect probably 1 new clutch, that is offset by the higher initial purchase cost of an auto. All bets are off if you abuse. You can fry clutches and break things if you try hard enough.
arenared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #5
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenared
For me, it comes down to who I want making the decisions on what gear I'm in.
Yup. I drove a Cayenne with Trip, and in auto-mode the car felt very anemic. Changing the gears myself made a world of difference, but was hard on the mileage.

For me, unless in some really stop and go traffic, I'd be changing gears myself no matter what I was driving... so the choice becomes do I want to change gears with my thumb or the right hand/left foot/right foot combo. There is just something about getting your complete body involved, and then having the car respond that makes my decision a manual everytime.

Of course, the original question had nothing to do with my answer, so I had thought I'd keep my opinion to myself. But, ... oh well, I'm human

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #6
Spiral

I would consider a tip on my next Porsche if they joined the rest of the sports car world and use paddle shifters for their semi-automatic.
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #7
mikefocke

Answer the question "why" and you have your answer.

I drove stick for the first 25 years of my driving history. 914, Alfa, VW, etc. But traffic grew worse and roads weren't built. I borrowed my wife's slush-o-matic one day and noticed I wasn't as tired after getting home through traffic. So I made the switch and all cars have been auto (or auto-manual) ever since. Now all cars are auto-manual. I never manual her Acura, I do the Boxster any time I'm in varying terrain, hills or curves.

Do you have similar traffic experiences?

Do you need/want someone else to be able to drive it? Regularly? In-a-pinch? Can they?

There are expert drivers who actually prefer to race Tiptronics.

And you can control the "which gear" with a flick of a switch.

I'm on my second Tip Boxster, one base '99 and one S '01. And for the traffic around DC, it is a pleasure. WHen I move to a more rural environment where I wouldn't be constantly rowing through the gears in traffic, I might shift for myself.

Only you can make the choice for you. And no you don't lose the "sports car" feel/fun.

IMHO
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman