Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 12th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1
JDP

new member - noisy muffler

all of a sudden, my 99 boxster sounds as if the muffler has a hole in it. it appears the muffler is ok but the exhaust pipe leading into the muffler seems to be leaking exhaust. is this repairable without changing the complete exhaust system?

Last edited by JDP; May 12th, 2005 at 01:19 PM.
JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Viktor

Noisy muffler

What kind of noise do you have? If it is a ticking type sound it could a loose bolted connection, cracked weld, or a small hole in the exhaust manifold. Depending on where the leak is it can be as easy as tightening the connection or replacing the exhaust manifold.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #3
JDP

thanks, it sounds as if there is no muffler - I'll get a better look at it tonight so I'm not sure if it is a cracked weld, etc. What kind of job is an exhaust manifold overhaul?
JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Mdreiver

I went pretty far out of my way to make my car sound like it had no muffler. I called it Operation Remove Muffler. It has so far elicited but one response: "Oh my God! Your car sounds awesome."

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman