Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 8th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Bill Dally

Help, Can't Reset Alarm

My battery was dead after a few weeks of non-use, so I opened the door, clipped the jumper cables to the post in the fuse box and the door latch, and tried to open the front hood. It didn't work. The front hood won't open and the alarm just keeps beeping. I can't reset the alarm with the key either in the door or the ignition.

Does anyone know how to shut the alarm off and open the front hood? My next step is to pull the front left wheel and pull the cable.

----Bill
Bill Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dally View Post
My battery was dead after a few weeks of non-use, so I opened the door, clipped the jumper cables to the post in the fuse box and the door latch, and tried to open the front hood. It didn't work. The front hood won't open and the alarm just keeps beeping. I can't reset the alarm with the key either in the door or the ignition.

Does anyone know how to shut the alarm off and open the front hood? My next step is to pull the front left wheel and pull the cable.

----Bill
You can't, the alarm system is programmed to do exactly what the car is doing. And the dead battery is preferentially sucking up the power you are applying to the fuse box terminals. You need to keep it hooked up until the car's battery gets enough juice built up that you can pop the hood and pull the cable off the battery. Good luck...........
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Bill Dally

Can I turn off the horn?

Is there any way to turn off the horn while I'm waiting for the battery to charge up enough to open the hood?
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Is there any way to turn off the horn while I'm waiting for the battery to charge up enough to open the hood?
Not easily, otherwise thieves could just do the same thing. Some of the early cars, and those delivered in Europe, had an extra siren mounted next to the battery for the same reason. Remember, this is supposed to be a system to prevent getting into the car without disarming the alarm, which is not going to happen with a low battery.
Old February 9th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Bill Dally

How long?

is it likely to beep before it finally lets me open the hood? The Sheriff will probably be here after 10 minutes.
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #6
JFP in PA

Quote:
is it likely to beep before it finally lets me open the hood? The Sheriff will probably be here after 10 minutes.
Along with beeping at you until you remove the battery cable, when you install the new battery, the alarm will go off as well.
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Bill Dally

No good

I let it beep for 10 minutes and it still wouldn't respond to the key in the door or ignition - or let me pop the hood.

I'm going to try trickle charging it through the lighter. The battery is currently clamping everything to about 2V.
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #8
JFP in PA

Quote:
I let it beep for 10 minutes and it still wouldn't respond to the key in the door or ignition - or let me pop the hood.

I'm going to try trickle charging it through the lighter. The battery is currently clamping everything to about 2V.
Connecting a maintainer to the lighter circuit is not going to be able to pass enough current (read amps) to bring the battery up, the wiring is just too small to handle it. You would be better off connecting another battery via the fuse panel.
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Bill Dally

10 minutes of having a second battery on the fuse panel wasn't enough to bring it up, and I'm not willing to let it beep for longer than that.
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #10
Loren

Is this a UK or RoW car?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.