Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Marygi

My Boxster is eating her rear tires

Hello everyone, moved from WI to CA in Nov. and shipped the Boxster 2,268 miles to join me-boy, I was happy to be reunited!
The Yokohama S-4 all-weather tires as a result have < 10,000 miles but the rear tires are nearly bald! Visited my friendly local Porsche mechanic in Seaside who advised that the wheels are out of alignment. The front 2 look fine.
The car was T-boned when 5 months old and repaired completely, and according to my records the chassis was OK.
To quote my husband, "This car should not have any problems, Honey." Since acquiring my baby (car, not husband) in Jan. 2008 in addition to the scheduled maintenance the 5-speed manual clutch was replaced as well.
In short, we drive it fast but don't abuse her. Any ideas on the origin of the tire's premature aging? This could get pricey. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Marygi; April 20th, 2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
Marygi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Docdanracy

typically you will need two sets of rear tires to one set of fronts....
most Porsches are this way.

do you have a special Boxster with a 4 speed manual transmission
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Marygi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdanracy View Post
typically you will need two sets of rear tires to one set of fronts....
most Porsches are this way.

do you have a special Boxster with a 4 speed manual transmission
Hey Dan, thanks for the prompt reply! obviously I have not had enough coffee to coherently say that it's a 5-speed. The issue remains, however, that even with a 1:2 front-to-rear tire replacement ratio, those Yokohamas should be good for WAY more than 10,000 mostly littleoldlady miles!
Marygi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #4
ChrisZang

nah. 10k to 12k miles it's all you get out of rear tires for a Boxster
Look at it from the bright side:
I just "ate" through about 1/3 of my rear tires life span in less than 1,000 miles
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM   #5
The Voxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marygi View Post
Hey Dan, thanks for the prompt reply! obviously I have not had enough coffee to coherently say that it's a 5-speed. The issue remains, however, that even with a 1:2 front-to-rear tire replacement ratio, those Yokohamas should be good for WAY more than 10,000 mostly littleoldlady miles!
I agree with Chris... most people get 10k-12k out of their rears, but if you feel like you're REALLY going through tires quickly, then the first place to look, as your mech suggested is to have your alignment checked--specifically, the toe and camber settings. If they're:

1. out of spec on the toe (meaning turned undesirably inward or outward--note that a very slight inward toe within spec is a good thing) OR

2. out of spec on camber (meaning sloped undesirably inward or outward--note that some outward vertical slope or "negative camber" is a good thing, too)

...then you could be chewing up your tires prematurely. Alignments are pretty cheap... $100-$150 is about all you should pay for that at a reputable shop.

You didn't specify whether the wear was even across the entire face or mainly in one area of the tire face, such as center more worn than shoulders (which might suggest overinflation), one shoulder more worn than the rest of the tire (usually the inside edge, which would suggest a high negative camber setting for even wear, if that's your goal), or other conditions.

Get some new rears put on, and drive it straight to the alignment shop. Doesn't take long... a few hours should get you yoru car back. Enjoy!

Hear The Future
The Voxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM   #6
mikefocke

I currently have over 14k on my rears
and they look like they are good for another 4 or 5. I attribute that to having the alignment done by someone who knew what the Porsche specs were and what variations within the specs would do for wear and handling on a Boxster. In short, they guy that did my car also set Porsches up for racing so he really knew the effects of an alignment on one side of the spec versus being on the other side.

My wear is perfectly even. My right tire wear is even with my left rear...which isn't typical as right rears often show more wear sooner.

It is also possible that your frame isn't straight, thus throwing everything that depends on it off. Body shops that specialize in Porsches have specialized tools that allow them to measure the frame and its trueness.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2020, 10:55 PM   #7
GeraldPopham

Babblers and all factors are provided for the host of the true sites for the team. Element of the chance and essay help for the flown away terms for the citizens. Appropriation of the uses done for the options for the babblers.
GeraldPopham is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman