Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 31st, 2003, 03:03 PM   #1
Strat

High Performance Audio Install Pictures?

Does anyone have pictures of the door speaker install for the High Performance Audio System (e.g. cutting the door panel)?

Porsche of Fairfield (800-247-8603) has the kit (amp, dash and door speakers) for $1295. While it is not clear if this represents the price for a discontinued product, it is the lowest price I have seen to date.
Old March 31st, 2003, 04:03 PM   #2
Tool Pants

Re: High Performance Audio Install Pictures?

You will be the first to take pictures. But Jason has instructions on this board on how to remove the door panels. Too bad you are not in the San Jose area, Raman is great with stuff like this.

I have only seen the HPAS once, about 2 years ago on Ethan's car. I am suprised more people do not install this kit but spend thousands more in the after market.

There is a 7 page TSB with instructions on how to install the kit. It was issued on 2/25/00 and the number is 9/99. There is a template with the kit to mark the location of the cut lines in the door panels. I might be able to email you the TSB.

Full list is $2,995 so they must want to get the HPAS off their shelf since very few people even know about the kit. Jeff
Old March 31st, 2003, 05:27 PM   #3
Strat

Re: High Performance Audio Install Pictures?

I thought as much. I have the TSB but was looking for confidence before I cut into the door panelsÖ. The drawings and instructions in the TSB are somewhat lacking in this area.

The amp and dash speakers go in with almost zero issues. Basically the dash speakers have crossovers mounted to back of the tweeters. (The crossovers have a perforated metal cover that adds to the crossoverís volume.) This along with larger mid-range speakers make dropping the units into the dash difficult without first bending the mid-range speaker spade lugs flush with the speaker.

At $2995, plus install, the cost is rather high especially if you canít find a system to preview. On the other hand if one spends $800 for an amp, plus speakers, the system cost can easily top $1295.

While the HPASís speakers use paper cones w/ rubber surrounds the overall sound quality is remarkably pleasant (w/o installing the door woofers.) Using a PC based real time audio spectrum analyzer the system performance is very flat (with the head unitís controls set flat.)

It is also notable that the HPAS speakers are less sensitive WRT the stock speakers. This translates to a mismatch in gain between the HPAS dash speakers and the stock rear speakers. Matching rear HPAS speakers are $390 from the same dealer.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman