Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 21st, 2002, 10:29 AM   #1
LouisE

2 piece engine case

Can someone tell me why the Porsche engine case is in two pieces. The American cars I am familiar with have a one piece cast block (plus the heads, manifold etc.) and I just wondered why Porsche cases are 2 piece? Is it something to due with the fact that the engine is a boxer design and not a V or straight design? Are two pieces the norm for a number of engines? Thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 04:05 PM   #2
Tool Pants

Did you ask the same question on another board?

Per our Chris G., Not Chris from Germany:

If you look at the design you will see it needs to be split in half in order to install the crank shaft, if it is to be a true flat six,, i.e., boxer design like subaru and porsche. If the crank was below the center then it would be a V design.

By bolting the 2 case halves together, it works like a big vise clamp and maintains great integrity under large amounts of stress with alloys that have half the strength and weight.

My scan from the tech booklet.

Jeff

Old January 22nd, 2002, 09:54 PM   #3
LouisE

Re: Did you ask the same question on another board?

Yes, I did, on both PPBB (no reply) and Rennlist where I did get a reply. Thanks for the info, I always wondered why and, as explained, it makes perfect sense.
Old January 23rd, 2002, 10:58 AM   #4
Blk 2K 2.7

Thanks... great education. *NM*

Old January 23rd, 2002, 10:36 PM   #5
Tool Pants

Did not see the reply

on Rennlist and 99.9% of PPBB would not know what you were talking about.

Thanks Louise, keep the questions coming. Then I get to bug Peter and Chris for the correct answers.

Jeff, the Boxstir Nut.

other board

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman