Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
shahab

New Front Tire - Opinion Needed

I have been running Bridgestone Potenzas S02 on my Boxster. I replaced the rear tires a while back and they are in good shape. The front tires are now worm and need to be replaced. It is not a daily driver so I only drive it on twisty backroads but I keep it at 80%.

I am looking at Hankook Ventus v12 and Sumitomo HTRIII. I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with these that they can share.

Any issues with mixing front and back?
shahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

The general rule is you should not mix tires. If you said it's just a daily driver, it probably isn't a big deal, but you stated, "I only drive it on twisty backroads" so I would be a little more concerned about the potential handling inconsistencies of mismatched tires.

I don't have any experience with either of the tires you mentioned, so can't weigh in there.
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahab View Post
I have been running Bridgestone Potenzas S02 on my Boxster. I replaced the rear tires a while back and they are in good shape. The front tires are now worm and need to be replaced. It is not a daily driver so I only drive it on twisty backroads but I keep it at 80%.

I am looking at Hankook Ventus v12 and Sumitomo HTRIII. I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with these that they can share.

Any issues with mixing front and back?
I have experience with both. Had a full set of Sumis and drove them hard on the track, AX and twisties. When the second set of rears wore out in 10K miles I had Hankooks installed. Been running mixed Sumis in front and Hankooks in the rear. Don't track anymore but do AX and still drive the twisties. No problems with handling or noise. The Kooks have a weaker sidewall than the Sumis so I have to put more air in them to keep the sidewall from rolling over in AX but have not had any issues on the street or backroads running Porsche recommended tire pressures.
I know a lot of folks running mixed sets with no issues, when the Sumis wear out I'll go Kooks all around.
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Velofan

Talking Michelin Pilot SP2

I also currently have a mix of front Pirelli P-zero and rear Michelin Pilot Sport. No discernible inconsistencies between front and rear. I especially recommend the Michelin Pilots. I first tried these when I did a Skip Barber 2-day hi performance driving school (Laguna Seca) which, by the way, was a blast. I was especially lucky because we were learning on their fleet of Boxsters! I noted that they were running the Michelin Pilot SP2s front and rear. The teachers said they were good tires, and I got to run them at speed on the incredible track.

By the way, at those speeds, the instructors were letting out a bit of air out of the right front tires after every 4 or so "hot" laps; and were replacing the right front and rear after each full day of hard cornering.

Fun!
Velofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
shahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
I have experience with both. Had a full set of Sumis and drove them hard on the track, AX and twisties. When the second set of rears wore out in 10K miles I had Hankooks installed. Been running mixed Sumis in front and Hankooks in the rear. Don't track anymore but do AX and still drive the twisties. No problems with handling or noise. The Kooks have a weaker sidewall than the Sumis so I have to put more air in them to keep the sidewall from rolling over in AX but have not had any issues on the street or backroads running Porsche recommended tire pressures.
I know a lot of folks running mixed sets with no issues, when the Sumis wear out I'll go Kooks all around.
Thanks for sharing your experience Ron. Very helpful. How would you compare the Summi to the Hankook? Other than the sidewall being weaker on the Hankook's. I am asking because I am sure after i change the fronts it will soon be time to change the rears. I want to end up with a matched set soon.

Between the two
Road noise?
Cornering confidence? Grip?
Ride quality?
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #6
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahab View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience Ron. Very helpful. How would you compare the Summi to the Hankook? Other than the sidewall being weaker on the Hankook's. I am asking because I am sure after i change the fronts it will soon be time to change the rears. I want to end up with a matched set soon.

Between the two
Road noise?
Cornering confidence? Grip?
Ride quality?
Hard to answer your questions because I'm almost always driving with the top down so I can hear my intake and exhaust symphony so road noise from tires is probably the last thing I'd be concerned about.
Cornering confidence is a combination of suspension and tires and since I've installed the ROWM030 Sport suspension I've had no issues with cornering regardless of the tires.
As far as grip I'd say the Kooks broke in faster. the Sumis I'd drive a couple of hundred miles before I'd AX them as they seemed to stay slicker longer than the Kooks.
Ride quality is also a combination of suspension and tires and the ROW setup absorbs all the shock where the OEM suspension transferred it into the seats and my back.
I guess the best answer I can give you is after Pirellis, Sumis and Kooks I'd go with either Sumis or Kooks whichever one has the best price as they are both rated the same. I'm curious to know how long the Kooks last on the rear as I've yet to have a tire that has gone over 10K miles there. Hope this helps.
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #7
shahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Hard to answer your questions because I'm almost always driving with the top down so I can hear my intake and exhaust symphony so road noise from tires is probably the last thing I'd be concerned about.
Cornering confidence is a combination of suspension and tires and since I've installed the ROWM030 Sport suspension I've had no issues with cornering regardless of the tires.
As far as grip I'd say the Kooks broke in faster. the Sumis I'd drive a couple of hundred miles before I'd AX them as they seemed to stay slicker longer than the Kooks.
Ride quality is also a combination of suspension and tires and the ROW setup absorbs all the shock where the OEM suspension transferred it into the seats and my back.
I guess the best answer I can give you is after Pirellis, Sumis and Kooks I'd go with either Sumis or Kooks whichever one has the best price as they are both rated the same. I'm curious to know how long the Kooks last on the rear as I've yet to have a tire that has gone over 10K miles there. Hope this helps.
Thanks Ron. This is helpful.
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Terry

Food for thought. I had five different sets of tires by five different manufactures on my 98 6 while I had it. My favorite were the recently released BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires:
BFGoodrichg-Force Sport COMP-2

In order of appearance (ranking):
  • Pirelli P0 Asymetricals - came from the factory with these (4)
  • Yokohama AVS Sport (5)
  • Falkeb Azenis RT615 (3)
  • Hankook Ventus R-S3 (2)
  • BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 (1)

Notes:
  • I always replaced all four tires at the same time making it easy to jump to a new mistress
  • These are all high/Max performance summer tires - - - so not the best wear and not the best in rain, especially as they reach the end of their life
  • While it may appear that the more recent the tire, the more I liked it, remember that tire compounds continue to improve each year
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman