Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk

Car Talk For topics and discussions about all makes and models

Old December 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #1
dedes

Thumbs up A 917 Christmas

From a friend....thought you might enjoy! Happy Holidays !

A 917 Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Nurburgring, not a exhaust was stirring, not even a ping. The fire suits were hung by the helmets with care,in hopes that Track Day soon would be there.The drivers were nestled all snug in their cockpits,while visions of power slides danced in their heads.

Marc, Wolf, Romain, Jorg, Timo, the two Patricks and I,had just drank some hot cider before beddy bye.When out on the track there arose such a noise,I wet myself badly but still held my poise. Away to the pits like a Lizard I flew,my nose out the door, what it was I did'nt have a clue.The halogen lights shinning full on the pavement outside, gave a lustre like gloss paint to the ribboned cars outside.When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,but a red cabrio Panamera, and eight tinny reindeer.With a black & white suited driver, so lively and quick,I knew in a moment it must be Richard Lietz.

More rapid than horses with roaring they came,and he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Ferry! now, Butzi! now, Ernst and Anton!On, Louise! On, Susanne! on, on Wolfgang and Hans!

Up the straight away! Past the empty grandstands!1st gear! 2nd gear! just skip to 4 on demand!"

As flaky snow that before the spinning tires spin,when it meets with that rubber, and turn into mush, so off they all went in a rush. In one full motion the galloping crew flew,with the backseat full of Toys, and St. Lietz a laughing too. And in that firey plumb of exhaust, as I watched him race off, we were left with a Methanol smell that made us all cough.

As I drew back my head, and was turning around,I saw all the boys were rushing around.Trying to dress in their leathers so fast, their helmets and boots,and filling their cars full of gas. A steering wheel each had in their hands,waking their pit crews, and barking commands.Their eyes-how they twinkled! with smiles aglow!Off they went to race their presents in the snow! One in a 936 the other a 935, than two 911's a 908/2 & 3 and a 965,

I drooled at the mouth as I walked up to mine,a perfect blue & orange 917 divine. I jumped in the seat and started her up, took me five tries but finally she began to erupt. Holding tightly and pumping the gas, I hurried to catch up cause I was in last.What pleasure this car gave me as I apexed and raked, around each corner like a slithering snake. She was clattering the sound that only a flat 12 could make,and I laughed as I tried not to brake!

In a wink of an eye I had caught up to the lead, passing St Lietz and the group of steads. I took the inside around the next bend, but with a shock on my face the car started to spin!I looked in my mirror, just to catch a glimpse,and away down the raceway they all flew after St.Lietz. I stopped in a wonder to catch my breath, then I woke up and realized I had wet my bed... I prayed that this was not just a dream and that I really had that car that could scream.

Without thinking I ran to my garage and found on the floor, an oil spill and the smell of sweet Methonal...and on my work bench wrapped up in a bow, was Steve McQueens 1/18th Gulf, all aglow.
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #2
james

Very cool... But where do I get that helmet??
"While driving my Boxster on twisty roads for hours is absolutely no replacement for spending quality time with my wife and family, it is at least why I keep my Boxster." copyright 2008 James E. Smith IV
james is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk