Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 15th, 2001, 01:33 PM   #1
Tool Pants

Pic of air box fire

For those who did not see it in person at the tech session.

You can see the melted hole in the plastic air box, and what is left of the paper air filter.

Chris told me the story but I forgot most of it. It was something like the owner came in because of a check engine light, and when they removed the engine lid this is what they saw.

Jeff

Old August 15th, 2001, 01:41 PM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

It was caused by the driver flicking his cigarette butts...

out the car. Apparently he dropped his hand down and flipped the butts and they were close enough to the air intake behind the driver's seat that they were sucked into the airbox. I recall them saying that they found more than one butt in there so it's not just a freak occurence, at least not in this instance.

Oh well, that's one of the risks one takes when smoking, especially in a car. I obviously don't have a lot of sympathy for something/someone like that.
Old August 15th, 2001, 02:23 PM   #3
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

good! ha ha ha, ha ha ha!

just last night someone in front of me held out their arm, paused, and flicked their butt directly into the bone-dry median grass. i flashed my lights and honked my horn but got no response.

in hindsight, i'm glad i got no response and decided that i don't want to be killed over it...but man that torks me!
Old August 15th, 2001, 04:05 PM   #4
Tool Pants

Doug, I have a picture for you

When are we going to see you at a Babblers event?

I was not able to feel or see a seam on the coolant reservior, so I was wrong about a seam opening up.

Jeff

Old August 15th, 2001, 04:16 PM   #5
Magic Mtn Dan

Teach a guy to put text in his pictures and this is what we get...

even more information from the fountain of Boxster knowledge, the BABBLERS "Technical Director," Jeff, Tool Pants Lopez.

Imagine how "dangerous" Jeff would be if he had a digital camera! I think Kmart or wherever he gets his pictures developed would go out of business if he bought one.

Maybe Jeff needs to represent a digital camera company - he eats for free after representing a restaurant so he'd probably have at least one digital camera if he picks his next client carefully (smile)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

Thanks for all the great information you provide us with Jeff!
Old August 15th, 2001, 05:06 PM   #6
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

Re: i almost made it to the charity bbq...

but it's the same weekend as the time trial at thunderhill (frown)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

funny that you post the picture with the relief valve indicated. i have a $400 relief valve on my shelf. when they replaced the cracked tank, i kept the old part and salvaged the relief valve for the next time it fails....
Old August 15th, 2001, 05:09 PM   #7
Tool Pants

Never should have told me how to do it

I'm getting better at it.

Next might just be a digital camera.

Old August 16th, 2001, 02:41 PM   #8
Jay in SF

You've created a monster, Dan!

keep up the good work Jeff (smile)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

once you go digital it saves you a lot of time effort and money. then again, considering how much i spend for batteries, maybe not money.....
Old August 17th, 2001, 09:47 AM   #9
Catalog Guy

Jeff Needs.....

a genuine Tool Pants copyright symbol for his original photos.
Andrew

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman