Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 16th, 2002, 07:39 PM   #1
kat. (Santa Cruz)

So, if I decide on the Air Intake I should "dyno" first?

...and then again after?

What all does this entail...and what else will it tell me besides any increase in HP?

Where would I get this done? How long does it take...how much does it cost?

Or maybe just point to me to a site where I can read all about it. There should be some sorta Boxster training camp.

Thanks.
Old January 16th, 2002, 08:11 PM   #2
Boxster Spice

Yes.

You need a baseline if you're going to modify your car. Every Boxster varies in power by as much as 10HP at the wheels. This is a quality control issue and you really don't know what you've got.

Well, you may not care now. But one day, after making a few mods, you might find yourself curious about how much power you have gained. You'll have no way of knowing unless you took a baseline.

I haven't dyno'd mine but a bunch of guys on the board have. They had a group dyno day at one of the local shops.
Old January 16th, 2002, 09:35 PM   #3
"Foosball" Brian Harrington (SJ,CA)

not necessarily

it's by no means necessary, just interesting. it's like going on a diet without taking a "before" picture. you'll get results either way.

generally everyone here goes to Dynospot in Mountain View to get their dynos done.

Maybe it's time to do another dyno day????
Old January 17th, 2002, 12:23 AM   #4
Madam No Fear

Count me in if you're doing a Dyno Day

After 1/31 please
Old January 17th, 2002, 07:26 AM   #5
Magic Mtn Dan

Boxster Training Camp About that idea...

we've already got it! It's called...

The BABBLERS! Used by Boxster owners worldwide for almost two years (can you believe it!).

As for dyno-ing your car. Why bother? If you want to increase the performance of your car you can easily do that by using proven accessories. Others have dyno'd their cars so you don't have to. All you'll find out is how much power your car is putting out which only gives you some numbers to go with how you feel behind the wheel.

There's no reason not to do it but it doesn't help (or hurt) anything. It's a fun thing to see done - maybe you ought to drop by Dyno Spot and see some cars on the dyno (and maybe then you won't want to put yours on the dyno - some people are reluctant to run their cars up to redline at least three times in a row).

Your mileage may vary. Offer good only where valid.
Old January 17th, 2002, 02:29 PM   #6
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

It depends on why you are adding the intake...

If you are doing it mostly for the sound, then I wouldn't worry too much about the dyno run. If it's for the power increase, then I would want to verify that I was really getting it, and see at what RPM's the increases were occurring.

Here's a link to the DynoSpot web site. They even have a plot of a Boxster S vs. Boxster S + EVO vs. Boxster S plus EVO plus Garret chip. They got 5-6 HP with the EVO, but it didn't start until about 5K RPM. They got 14 HP with the EVO plus the chip.

It looks like DynoSpot sells the EVO intake and the Garret Chip. I wonder if they would throw in the dyno runs if you bought/installed the parts there...

DynoSpot Racing
Old January 17th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #7
Boxster Spice

That's true

I was just speaking of this possibly disappointing situation.

Imagine you have a "low" output Boxster S of 211 HP at the rear wheels. You put on a mod that gives you 8 HP. Most of us would be thrilled at that. You go to dyno your car and find that you now get 219. Well, you never baselined your car so you don't know how much you improved. You just know that you now have 219HP. You then might look at Andrew's webpage and see that he started up with baseline of 221 (if I remember correctly). This would lead you to believe that you lost 2HP for your investment. You would know in the back of your mind that it's possible that you started with a less powerful car. But you also know some mods lose power rather than improve it. Now you would probably want to consider spending more money for labor to remove the part and see if you can get back the power you "lost" (above and beyond your parts and installation you have already spent).

Sure, there are a lot of ifs there. I think if I was putting on a mod that someone else put on his identical car and I had access to his before/after dynos, then I'd be okay with not baselining my car. But if I was pioneering at all, I'd want to know. Just my opinion.

And yes, a dyno day might be fun.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman