Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 9th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #1
hotrod356

replacment rear window? Soft

Hey there, this is my first post. And the for the longest time my rear widows cloudyness has been making me nuts. Does anyone know of a good and resonable place to have this done in the San Francisco bay area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete:
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Welcome!

If the window is just a bit cloudy you might get by with a good cleaning followed by some Plexus. Plexus can be found at most motorcycle shops and it's what I use.

If you feel you need the window replaced you should check the Recommendations pages (link at the top) and give Jeda Generations a call. I know a few people have had their window replaced there and were very pleased. OTOH - if you want to go all out and have the top replaced and a new glass window put in try Premier Upholstery as I believe they've done several glass window top replacements.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #3
hotrod356

re: rear window

Thanks for the advice Tom. I think I will go ahead and replace window. Thanks again.
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

If you go the replacement route be sure to document the process and give us all a report on how things went.

In the interim you might give the Plexus a shot if it's really that bad as it's only few $$ for a small spray can and it really does improve things. Heck, if it's good enough for the canopies on jet fighters it's good enough for the window on the Boxster!
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #5
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Plexus is great stuff. My window had become pretty cloudy from neglect. I thought that I was going to need to use one of the slightly abrasive plastic cleaners, such as the product sold by Porsche. However, I found that by thoroughly saturating a micro-fiber cloth with Plexus and using a bit of elbow grease, the plexus was able to cut through all the film and left the window crystal clear.
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #6
fasterjames

rear window

I agree with everyone. Plexus is awesome stuff. I use it on my motorcycle helmet faceshields, the helmets themselves, fairings, etc. For the back window I use a soft clean towel and water or once in awhile a cleaner made my Mcguires designed for them. Whatever you do, NEVER use Windex, Armour All, or anything like these. If you see those people who complain about the 'lousy' quality of their yellowed out and cracking window, then you know that they used Windex.
fasterjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman