Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 11th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #1
Ryne

Buying a Used Porsche Boxster...

Hello, I have been reading your message board for qite some time now and this is my first post. I was just wondering in purchasing a used boxster what I should look for in it to make sure it will last me.
I am most likely going to purchase a 1997-1999 Boxster with 35-55k miles on it...I am hoping to find one of these for under 25k. This will be my first boxster, actually my first porsche. I have always wanted a Porsche and never thought I would own one. I just want to know what you guys think I should look out for when I go to a private party and see a 1998 Boxter with 48000 miles for 24500? I am thinking the power top needs to be in good condition because i hear that those are a big time hassle to fix. Well, i plan on doing all my own work on the car and it will most likely be a fun learning experiance, and i will have loads of fun driving this machine. Please reply with what i should look for in an older boxter and what to look out for before purchasing one. I am most likely going to take it to my friend Gene, who is the parts manager at Beverly Hills Porsche, before purchasing it to take a look at it and make sure it is in good condition. Thanks!
Old March 12th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #2
Ryne

Re: Buying a Used Porsche Boxster...

thanks for the replys.... I see how it is, i thought that you guys would be glad to tell me what to look for so i dont get a pos car and i can charish it like all of you do your boxters
Old March 12th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #3
Tool Pants

I will help you

I have a 1997 that I bought used in 1999. Except for the recall work I do everything myself. Since you mentioned BHP you must be in SoCal or I could check the car(s) out with you. I'm in San Jose.

Send me an email with any questions and I will try to help.

Jeff
Old March 12th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #4
JoshS

no problem... I don't have an older boxster so I wouldn't know... *NM*

Old March 12th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #5
Blk 2k 2.7

I've got a 2000 with a 2.7. In my opinion, I'd look for solid accelleration through the total rpm range, a steady idle... and pay attention to the water temp.
I would watch out for water leaks or marking under the trunk lid and pull up the trunk carpet to make certain there is no moisture. The water resevoir and connecting hoses are known to leak... not certain if this is charactoristic of pre-2000. In addition I would listen for squeaks coming from the clutch pedal, as the spring can be defective and require replacement. One last item... check that the wind screen and hoop baskets are in place and there are no broken clips.
Aside from all the other things you would look for when buying a used car... I'd consider these unique to the Boxster.
I would also look for modifications... in my opinion, those done to the air intake can cause you concern/problems down the road. In my opinion, understand the Boxster has advanced electronics... performance mods can work in conflict with those electronics.
From reading your e-mail... having a professional check-out the car is a great plan, Tool Pants is also a fantastic resource. Best of luck... these are fun cars but at 29,000 miles I don't have much history with repairs (knock on woood).
Old March 12th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #6
karlooz

dude, what's with the 'tude?

just chill a little and people will chime in .

i too bought mine used. its an AS '98 bought in 2000. i didn't do my homework so you'll hopefully benefit from my mistakes

mistake #1
don't buy the first boxster you see. i was too emotionally cranked up i bought the first one i looked at. because of this i didn't pay attention to the details (like my model didn't come with traction control or especially remote locking doors)

mistake#2
i didn't do the research. research the boards (PPBB, babblers, SCBB, boxa.net, cfg, rennlist, whatever you find) and look at the TSB's from ALLDATA.com. you'll see from the boards the the RMS is a widespread problem. the TSB's will show (guide) you what porsche has acknowledged as potential problems.

mistake #3
i didn't have the car inspected. BIG MISTAKE! within little under a month it developed the dreaded RMS leak. my extended warranty company (manheim easy care - those shysters!) didn't cover it claiming that it was an existing problem. possibly a pre-purchase inspection would have caught this. since they were there, they replaced my clutch which, apparently, only last s30~40k miles (i was a 33k). i was out ~1000 bucks!

mistake #4
check out the body work/paint CAREFULLY and under sunlight! i viewed the car indoors at night under flourecent lights. i couldn't the see the sublte nuances of the sheetmetal. i thought i was thourough but after a while and after a dozen washings i statrted noticing a few odd things. for one, my front trunk did not have the sticker designating the car's option. i didnt know about this sticker till i stumbled across it through the boards. this leads me to believe that there was some front end damage and the hood needed replacing. i also noticed the paint on the bumper wasn't a perfect match to the sheetmetal further reinforcing my suspicions. and i noticed slight imperfections (read: slight dents) in the bodywork. so run a CARFAX check (it can't hurt and they have some sort of $5000 guarantee), like i did, but it won't show you if had damage or work done that wasn't documented (the CARFAX i ran showed that my car was CLEAN!).

stuff to look out for from personal experience:
- a rattly dashboard (TSB)
- RMS
- get a model with the most options you can afford., iguess this goes without saying ;P. mine came bone stock without remote lock/ alarm, cruise control and without door mounted speakers. i had to hack up the door panels myself and wire it to add some decent output from the aftermarket stereo head unit i installed.
-look for cracks in the rear window and for discoloration
-listen for weird knocking noises in the engine bay. mine turned out to be a bad intermediate shaft bearing.
-clean out those drain holes in the convertible top bay. my car's floor was flooded on both sides after a torrential rain subsequently fouling my central locking module.

it sounds like i hate this car and it has been nothing but trouble. well yes and no. the repairs wouldn't have been so painfull if i did the pre-inspection and if my extended warranty company was legitimate. but the car is such an awesome handling fun car. listening to the engine, exhaust, and intake symphony just stirs my soul.

maintenance can easily be done independently, especially when you get help from the BABBLERS!

good luck!

is that good enough for you
Old March 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #7
Ryne

Thanks for the reply's guys. Sorry about the impatientness, but you know how it is when you want a Porsche, you get a little impatient. Didn't mean to piss anyone off. Thanks again. Ryne
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:45 PM   #8
Ad Sach(AZ)

Ryne - If you haven't been there, go to PPBB

This is a VERY busy board. It is a great resources fora Boxster owner, Boxster Waiter, or Boxster Owner-to-be

Porsche Pete's Boxster Board
Old March 13th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #9
Mark S(Sunnyvale)

How's your car? Any updates? *NM*

Old March 13th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #10
karlooz

good news, im getting a new engine!

...bad news, im still paying for labour really though im pretty satisfied. last time you saw my car it had that loud ticking sound. i soon brought it to AB and they diagnosed it to be a defective intermediate shaft bearing. AB (thx kevin) went to bat for me and got a new engine. so im quite pleased since it's 3 years out of warranty. i hope to be getting it this tuesday.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman