Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
CatalogGuy

Codes!

Thanks to Loren's recommendation (Renntech) I purchased the software and USB cable from www.durametric.com. It immediately showed me a list of codes from the motronic. Here is a link the pdf file I created to show the codes. Any help guessing why the car won't run. BTW O2 sensors are all new. I do have a new MAF in storage (old style which is what I have now) I can get here in a few weeks.

http://www.catalogguy.com/ecu20060401.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ecu20060401.pdf (6.1 KB, 61 views)
CatalogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:44 AM   #2
CatalogGuy

Update and more info attempting to diagnose.....

2000 S that starts but does not run. Pcodes posted separately.

We spent some time last night looking for and not finding a disconnected or severed cable. Here are some notes on what we did and at the end is a list of 4 possible causes we have identified based on information so far.

-Pedal cable intact and moving the arm of the potentiometer

-Wires from potentiometer to connector seem ok and connections on both sides of connector for potentiometer wires seem ok.

-Wires from mass air flow sensor seem well connected.

-Wires to throttle position sensor seem connected.

-Wires to ECM seem connected.

-When throttle butterfly valve was slightly opened, the idle speed increased significantly but was surging more and engine died from fuel starvation, i.e. extremely lean mixture when throttle valve pushed open more than a few degrees, probably because air flow sensor not reading need for more fuel.

-When fuel pump relay was unplugged, engine ran for less than a minute. Engine restarted and idled when fuel pump relay was reinstalled.

1. ECM
2. Mass air flow sensor not working
3. Throttle position sensor?
4. Potentiometer to which pedal attaches

http://www.catalogguy.com/ecu20060401.pdf[/QUOTE]
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #3
CatalogGuy

I now have a new MAF sensor in Mexico

As soon as I find a T20 bit I will swap it for the original and see what happens. I also have name and number of a P tech who worked on the car. After exploring these possibilities if no fix, I will have to find a trailer to tow it to CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalogGuy
2000 S that starts but does not run. Pcodes posted separately.

We spent some time last night looking for and not finding a disconnected or severed cable. Here are some notes on what we did and at the end is a list of 4 possible causes we have identified based on information so far.

-Pedal cable intact and moving the arm of the potentiometer

-Wires from potentiometer to connector seem ok and connections on both sides of connector for potentiometer wires seem ok.

-Wires from mass air flow sensor seem well connected.

-Wires to throttle position sensor seem connected.

-Wires to ECM seem connected.

-When throttle butterfly valve was slightly opened, the idle speed increased significantly but was surging more and engine died from fuel starvation, i.e. extremely lean mixture when throttle valve pushed open more than a few degrees, probably because air flow sensor not reading need for more fuel.

-When fuel pump relay was unplugged, engine ran for less than a minute. Engine restarted and idled when fuel pump relay was reinstalled.

1. ECM
2. Mass air flow sensor not working
3. Throttle position sensor?
4. Potentiometer to which pedal attaches

http://www.catalogguy.com/ecu20060401.pdf
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by CatalogGuy; April 27th, 2006 at 10:07 AM. Reason: MAG <> MAF

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman