Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 2nd, 2001, 06:54 PM   #1
DJ

sound over the idle sound from the engine compartment

Is their a fan or something inside the engine compartment that comes on intermittenly when idling? I thought I heard a sound over the idle sound from the engine compartment when the car had just come back for a drive and was idling for a short time (about 40 seconds) in the garage? It was not that large blower sound that I am familar with. It was more like a increased noise above idle, not that loud blower that can operate even with the ignition off.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:00 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: sound over the idle sound from the engine compartment

Yup. It's all based on temperature, whether the car is running or not, etc. When it's hot out it will come on quite frequently even after the car has been shut off.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:08 PM   #3
DJ

Re: sound over the idle sound from the engine compartment

Tom ,sent you an E-mail. Is their a small fan or air pump in the engine compartment that turns off when turning the key off?
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:38 PM   #4
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

There is a blower in the engine bay that vents

out that makes use of the opening behind the passenger door. It is essentially a fresh air intake for the engine compartment to aide in cooling. With the car off and the blower not running you can feel warm air drift out of this opening. However with the blower running (you can't mistake this as it is pretty loud) it definitely sucks the air in.

I think Jeff has a picture of this from a car that was missing an engine. Maybe he can post it.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:39 PM   #5
Tool Pants - Jeff Lopez

There is a fan

and an air pump for smog.

You can see both in this pic, next to each other.

Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:43 PM   #6
Magic Mtn Dan

There's also a noise you can hear up front (HVAC?)...

that comes on when you turn the key on/off (if you turn the key without turning it all the way to start the car you can hear it more easily.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 07:49 PM   #7
DJ

Re: There is a fan question

This sound that I heard was not the loud blower. It was more like an increase in the sound of just the idle. I was standing next to the passenger side vent when I noticed this more subtle sound. At that time my wife, who was driving, turned off the ignition and all sounds went away. I restarted the engine about 5 minutes later and the sound was not present. Would this have been the smog pump or small blower in the engine compartment? It was not that very loud blower that I have heard even with the engine off.
Old November 3rd, 2001, 07:25 AM   #8
Magic Mtn Dan

The "loud blower" sound you're talking about...

is the cooling fan on the passenger side of the car. It is the fan that comes on when it "wants" to (when the temperature sensor(s) tell it to come on - whether or not the car is running).

As for the sound you heard, who knows. I suppose it could have been the A/C or some other component. The good news is if and when it "goes" your warranty will cover it.

Now if only I can figure out what the noise is I'm hearing (only can hear it at low speeds - it's coming from the right front and it's independent of using the brake). I've take it to the dealer and I've had a Porsche Tech in the car and of course it never happens then!
Old November 3rd, 2001, 10:20 AM   #9
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Other "strange" sounds...

I've got a noise that happens just after cresting a hill on a right handed bend. It happens just like clockwork on the way home in the same spot 99% of the time. It sounds just like something dragging against the brake rotor (like squealing brakes) but is not affected by brake pressure. It is impacted by engine speed. Push in the clutch and let the engine idle and the noise disappears. Bring the revs back up and it returns. It's too long a drive for a dealer road test and the techs at Claridge's can't explain what I'm hearing. This noise has been there since delivery nearly 17 months ago!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman