Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 23rd, 2002, 04:47 PM   #1
Sheriff John

my idle has gone nuts! cycles from 1400-2000 rpms

when I put the clutch in at the first stop sign this AM, the RPMs popped up to 1400 then cycled, up and down, from 1400-2000. turned the car on and off a few times, went out at lunch today, same thing. Even tried lugging the engine to "pull" the rmps down. which it did, obviously, then went right back up when the clutch went in.

Any ideas what has gone wrong? Have an appointment this Thursday to have the dealer look at it. My Toyota has a idle control valve that occasionally goes bad Perhaps this car has one too? It wouldn't be the computer would it?

I dunno!

thx for the help
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:39 PM   #2
Tool Pants

It is called "hunting idle"

You need to clean the throttle plate. Remove the intake tube to the throttle body. Turn key on - engine off - and have someone hold the pedal to the floor and clean where the throttle plate comes to the stop. Thanks to Chris for the info.

If that does not work then it is the MAS or something else.

Jeff
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:55 PM   #3
Sheriff John

thx, I'll give that a try tonight *NM*

Old September 23rd, 2002, 06:40 PM   #4
Catalog Guy

Re: It is called "hunting idle"

Do you have a pic of the throttle plate? Mine sometimes hunts between 600 and 1000 at idle.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 07:51 PM   #5
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Is this the one where you can "induce" it to happen?

I can get mine to do that with the A/C on and just nudge up the gas a little from idle. This one is apparently considered "normal."
Old September 23rd, 2002, 07:56 PM   #6
Catalog Guy

Yes and I have reversed it

By pressing throttle very gently and increasing pressure very slowly. Climb until 1500 or 2000 then gently lift. Keeps you busy at the stoplight.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 08:02 PM   #7
Sheriff John

OK, this is how I fixed it

I did what you said Jeff. I took the intake tube off the throttle body. Since I have a 2.5 I wedged a screwdriver on underneath the throttle cable and over the throttle body which forced the "butterfly" throtle plate open. I cleaned the plate and the valve around where the plate seats. Yes, it was dirty, especially near the bottom. I reassembled, started the car and the car starting "hunting" again. I shut off the motor, and noticed a electronic device on the opposite end where the throttle cable is (or the other side of the butterfly shaft. I made sure that the connectors (2) were attached. They were. Since I was sure that I was off to the dealer, I took the butt end of my screw driver and SMACKED that electronic device about 4 times. That took care of that! idle returned.

Looks like I'm going have to name my car. "Tina Turner" It likes to be treated Nice, but ROUGH!

Thx again for the help. Chris too.

the test will be in the morning! Ha!
Old September 24th, 2002, 09:04 AM   #8
Sheriff John

worked great for 2 miles off to dealer for repairs *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman