Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Snaxster

Lightbulb It was perfect from the start: I reverted to the stock exhaust on my 2.7l 987 Boxster

After breaking in my '08 base 987 Boxster for 2k miles for about a month, then having my old Tubi Style exhaust swapped onto the Boxster and driving it for another 2k miles for about a month, I decided to revert to the stock exhaust yesterday.

The radical improvement on reverting to stock was immediately evident. But now that I've driven stock again for about 300 miles since yesterday (yes, I drove out to Anderson Valley and back yesterday, and then did another 80 miles today), I see clearly that the Tubi simply wasn't right for this car.

My recollection is that this very same Tubi exhaust was excellent on my former Cayman S. Though not without issues (resonance in some rev ranges, mainly), it was on the whole a capable interpreter of the Cayman S's natural voice and... well, of its vibe.

Not so on the base Boxster. And I believe this was because of the difference in engine size. I have noted that all the aftermarket 987 catback exhaust solutions are described by their makers as being for the 987 S. Remus is even specific enough to list individually the 3.2l and 3.4l engines. Borla considers its solution to be incompatible with the 2.7l engine.

The Remus and Borla examples are interesting because there is no difference between the fitment for the exhaust on a 2.7l or 3.Xl 987, whether Boxster or Cayman. That means to me that those two makers tuned their solutions for the larger engines specifically.

Tubi, AWE, and others make no such claims about compatibility; not that I've seen. But after my experience with the Tubi on the 987 C7S vs. on the 987, I am convinced that Tubi also tuned its solution (one of the first to market, too, I think) for the 3.Xl engines.

Whatever the reason, I found that the Tubi changed the character of the base 987 Boxster too much. I was too often shifting to avoid resonance in real world driving, too aware of the car's volume is residential areas, and generally too drawn to the fact that the exhaust system was installed.

Yes, I will miss the good bits of the Tubi on the base Boxster: the deep rumble at idle, the beautiful burble and spitting on throttle release, the terrifying howl at high revs.

But let me tell you, the stock Porsche exhaust is a marvel of engineering. I am tempted to say that it is as important an intrinsic part of the car as the Ferrari exhaust systems are to their cars. This isn't simply about compliance with regional government regulations. It's about achieving a cohesive aural and tactile character; a vibrational unity throughout the Boxster, in all states of the car's operation, under all driving conditions. After only two days and 300 miles of revisiting this, I am truly impressed.

My Boxster feels relaxed and more focused (and so am I in turn) and it sounds fantastic, undeniably a Porsche flat six.

I swear that I will never swap an aftermarket exhaust onto a Porsche sports car again. I'm cured!

Best,

Snaxster
Snaxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM   #2
bigb

Nice read Snaxter - thanks for sharing your experience!
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Snaxster

Thank you, bigb. It was my pleasure to post. I wanted to share, that others might be spared taking the same path I did.

Regards,

Snaxster
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Westcoaster

Wow Snaxster, so eloquently said, you should be an automotive writer!

BTW, if I was ever going to consider an aftermarket exhaust, you convinced me otherwise, thanks!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #5
Snaxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
Wow Snaxster, so eloquently said, you should be an automotive writer!
Gee, Westcoaster... thank you! I'll tell my (much more knowledgeable than I) automobile fanatic friends that you said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
BTW, if I was ever going to consider an aftermarket exhaust, you convinced me otherwise, thanks!
My pleasure. To each their own, of course, but "bone stock" for a street car is now compelling to me.

Regards,

Snaxster
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Dale Flesburg

I do not question you at all....

My air cooled 3.2L engine is every bit as strong with the stock muffler as with a "high performance" muffler.

Disappointing tho...because I really like the exhaust note that my older air cooled 6s make compared to my Boxster. I agree it is nice under throttle from say 5 to 7 thousand...

I was hoping you would say, it is great, but watch out for angry neighbors and watch out for the cops.....
Dale Flesburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Snaxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Flesburg View Post
I was hoping you would say, it is great, but watch out for angry neighbors and watch out for the cops.....
Hello, Dale. Yes, well my bit about residential areas was meant to include angry neighbors. I would cringe guiltily each time I set out from my car port when my Boxster was cold. Oy!

Cops I rarely considered, though. With the Tubi, it was the cabin volume that was often loud; but outside the car, it sounded tasteful at normal revs.

Regards,

Snaxster
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #8
First986NJ

I'm headed in the same direction Snaxster....... with just a small mod to the stock can to deepen the rumble a bit.
'90 300ZX Aztec Red/Black
First986NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #9
Snaxster

Hey, Andy. Is that the "free exhaust mod"? They refer to one mod by that name at The Cayman Club.

As long as it's reversible, I don't see the harm. I'm out a few hundred bucks labor, but if you want to reverse your mod, will you need to find a whole new OEM exhaust unit?

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Snaxster
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #10
First986NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaxster View Post
Hey, Andy. Is that the "free exhaust mod"? They refer to one mod by that name at The Cayman Club.

As long as it's reversible, I don't see the harm. I'm out a few hundred bucks labor, but if you want to reverse your mod, will you need to find a whole new OEM exhaust unit?

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Snaxster
Well, not sure about the Cayman Club mod, what I'm going to do is either dremmel about a 1" square opening inside the inlet tube on each side or drill 2 1" holes in the inlet tube by going in through the outlet openings and finding the center of the inlet tube (it runs all the way through the muffler). The openings let a percentage of the exhaust gasses skip the first 2 chambers of the muffler and enter right into the last one. About a 1" square opening needs to be opened up on the muffler side of the inlet tube on each side. It could be reversed by sleeving it if you wanted, but it really doesn't make it a whole bunch louder, just gives it a nice tone without any resonance being developed.
'90 300ZX Aztec Red/Black
First986NJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman