Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1
CatalogGuy

Q on touch up paint...

Why is it that practically all the imperfections have been self inflicted? Washing the car on "final rinse," I removed the nozzle and used the hose to get a nice full stream to remove all the spots, and I really didn't think I was holding the hose end that close to the paint, but I lightly briushed over the lip of the spoiler (the rear spoiler that pops up), and the brass hose end sliced a little bit of paint right off the top!

I dug out an old bottle of Langka and an old bottle of touch up paint. The paint was mixed by that Ferrari fixing shop that did, I thought, a so so job after that Mountain View alignment place dropped a corner balance sand bag on my door sill.

Anyway, touch up paint seems a bit solid, not totally solid, but not pourable, either. Can I just add a few drops paint thinner, shake it up, and give it a go? Thanks for any tips!

So hard to get a decent pic of this

CatalogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #2
ChrisZang

This part can be very easily removed.
So why not take it off and have it repainted as a whole?
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #3
mcluucy

I did similar fix over the weekend for my regular black car. I went to Kragen, and bought myself a small bottle of touch-up paint, 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper, a bottle of rubbing compound solution (by 3M) which should be very near the sandpaper.

Next, touch up the scratch with the paint very carefully with the brush applicator or your own thin brush. Wet the sandpaper into soapy water (I used my dishwashing soap and put in the amount I normally use for my dishes) and sand lightly over the scratch, going perpendicular to the scratch direction until smooth/even. Then apply rubbing compound in circular motion until all the sandpaper scratch is gone. Should be one or two applications. Finally apply a coat of polish and then wax or just two coats of wax.

It's as good as new. Everything costs less than $20, and you learn to fix some minor scratches yourself in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
mcluucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM   #4
CatalogGuy

I would like to give it a try and see how it comes out. I think I am ready to go except I am concerned that the paint has become too thick. So is it recommended as the best way to slightly thin the paint is adding a few drops of paint thinner? Or is there something else like acetone/denatured alcohol that would be better?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

I think I'd be inclined to just order some new touch up paint from Sunset unless Stead has some of the correct color in stock.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM   #6
CatalogGuy

Thanks, Tom. Does Sunset have an online catalog? I thought they did, but not finding it. I sent an online request instead.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

I normally just call them to place an order. I think they are working on an online order process but it doesn't seem to be in place quite yet.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #8
CatalogGuy

$16 paint + $8 ship + 2 weeks = I'll be touching up!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman