Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 5th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Martin@Alaska

Ordered new exhaust, ecu and air filter upgrade today

I have a 2003 986 which is pretty much stock and today I ordered the Fabspeed headers and full exhaust, the ecu update and the air filter upgrade. It is my birthday present from my wife which is very cool. I was told by Fabspeed that they are almost four weeks out on delivering the exhaust system due to lots of orders which I hadn't expected. I was hoping it would be shipped the next day and installed this next week. Oh well, hopefully soon. I just don;t have the long of a driving season, so we want everything now, as does everyone else, so we all have to wait our turn.

I am really looking forward to how the exhaust and the ecu programming work together.

If others have done this, I would enjoy hearing your experience, and I will post mine once its installed.

Martin.
2003 Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Gray
2008 Aston Martin Vantage N400 #212
2014 Ram 1500 Longhorn

Previous Cars
2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T
2001 Audi Allroad 2.7T
1966 Triumph TR4A
Martin@Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Let us know how you like it. I have considered headers, exhaust & ECU, but so far, my stock '99 w/112k miles keeps me and my wallet happy.

BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Old June 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Martin@Alaska

Thanks!
2014 Ram 1500 Longhorn

Previous Cars
2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T
2001 Audi Allroad 2.7T
1966 Triumph TR4A
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Martin@Alaska

So it took about three weeks for Fabspeed to get the system manufactured and then shipped to my mechanic. Timing was not good because we had a family summer vacation planned to Michigan, so of course the system arrived the day we flew back to MI for two weeks. But a friend delivered the car while I was away, so I arrived home with the car waiting for me at the shop with the new toys installed.

I have to first say that Fabspeed is great to deal with. They had a sales person assigned to me, so when I called for an update, they transferred me to him and he called me when the system shipped and also gave me updates when they received the ECU and called to apologize when they couldn't do a one day turn-around, it turned out to be two, not a big deal, but I appreciated their concern and his call.

Picked up the car this morning. The owner of the shop installed the system, and commented on how well built it was. It took him three hours to install it. Total cost of install was $300 for the exhaust and $100 for the change out of the air filter and removal and installation of the ECU. Seemed pretty reasonable to me.

First impressions are; WOW! It sounds great, a bit louder than I expected and way more throatier. It really sounds awesome when you start it. I had listened to sound tracks on the Internet, but in real life, it is a dramatic change. The car also seems a lot more edgy in terms of performance. I think part of that is the ECU programming which changes the throttle settings, you get a lot more throttle body opening with a lot less foot movement. But overall the car feels like it has a different motor, really a serious performance change, and of course the roar of the motor over the stock exhaust is amazing.

I need to drive it more and get a better feel for the ECU mapping changes but first impressions are that if you want to make a dramatic improvement in sportiness, this is an upgrade I would certainly recommend.

But be aware that at low speeds between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM it is pretty loud, I live up some very steep roads and really noticed how loud it was coming the up the steep hills at low speed. At highway speeds it just gurgles along, but when you put your foot into it, it can really roar.

I am looking forward to having someone drive it so I can be a bystander and see how it sounds outside the car. But it is sure fun being inside and having that overall performance improvement.

As I learn more, I will update.

Martin.
2014 Ram 1500 Longhorn

Previous Cars
2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T
2001 Audi Allroad 2.7T
1966 Triumph TR4A
Old July 28th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #5
mcomet

Interesting thanks for posting... I am considering an exhaust mod to my 986 next year... Right now thinking about fabspeed and PSE... Mainly thinking of PSE because I know it is a little quieter and has the on/off which might be nice for stealth driving and mostly for the wife on drives or trips... I have heard PSE is not as loud as the others tho... I don't want something too "annoying" on the other hand from what I have heard online vids Fabspeed sounds pretty cool..
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
1analguy

Too loud? I hear turbos make fairly decent mufflers...
Old August 4th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Martin@Alaska

Too loud, not at all! It sounds great. What is so funny is my 12 year old daughter likes it even more. She always liked the convertible aspect, but the new cool exhaust is a cooler thing that she totally enjoys, but I think is a bit embarrassed about it because it does draw attention.

Just took a 2 hour drive down to our weekend house, and it was awesome, the car sounds great and definitely performs better, it is cool to make passes at 6000 rpm with cam shifted and the exhaust roaring.

Very fun, great upgrade.

Martin
2014 Ram 1500 Longhorn

Previous Cars
2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T
2001 Audi Allroad 2.7T
1966 Triumph TR4A
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #8
mcomet

Yeah after posting this and doing more research I think Fabspeed is now my choice... Hopefully next spring... BTW what made you decide to do the full ECU and header package vs.just the exhaust?

ps: you should post a vid
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Google+

Copyright © 2001-2014 Babblers. All rights reserved.
Babblers is a Porsche Boxster and Cayman enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Porsche of Stuttgart, Germany.