Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 23rd, 2001, 09:44 PM   #1
Tool Pants

Interesting Boxster alarm info

The tequipment section of the pet for ROW has listed a retrofit kit alarm siren and tilt sensor which would give you option 536. Not interested in the siren, but interested in the tilt sensor. This is not available as an option in USA/Canada. Never understood why the Boxster did not have a tilt sensor. Pet says it is for '98 up 986/996, but this may be a mistake as the siren and alarm are shown on my '97 tech book, but there are differences b/w the alarm system for '97 and '98 up.

Next is a retrofit kit for remote control interior monitoring anti-theft device which would give you option 534. Again, this is ROW only. The only year listed is '97. This one is hard to figure out from the parts listed. It has the alarm control unit, the interior motion sensor, the pull rod for unlocking the rear trunk, the red led on the dash, but the key head listed is not the one with 2 buttons. So, there is some type of retrofit kit for an alarm system for the Boxster.

Time to see Peter. I also need to see that rare car without the 535 option. Carlos, what are you doing next week?

Jeff
Old December 24th, 2001, 05:20 PM   #2
karlooz

Re: Interesting Boxster alarm info

i'll be free wednesday and over the weekend (this week) next week its back to work on wed. i'll email my digits
Old December 25th, 2001, 10:59 AM   #3
Oggie (on Long Island)

Tilt sensor a good idea

I had one added on to my factory 996 alarm, and it was a very difficult job, requiring several repeat visits to the installer. I would have gladly bought a Porsche plug-in device had I known one was available. Do you know the price?

Also, does this kit come with a siren that replaces the "beep-beep" horn for the alarm? That might be more effective as the horn is distinctive but not too loud.
Old December 26th, 2001, 11:08 AM   #4
Catalog Guy

What does the tilt sensor do?

I am interested in retrofitting the sensor as I am not pleased with the original sensor. Do you have any info describing the differences?
Old December 26th, 2001, 12:30 PM   #5
Tool Pants

It tilts

If someone bumps into your Boxster or jacks it up the alarm will not go off. With the tilt sensor it will go off. For some reason the tilt sensor is not available as an option in North America.

Some time ago I saw the individual parts were listed, but it would be one big pain to figure out how to wire it in. Then I saw there was a ROW retrofit kit that includes a wiring harness.

I also realized I misred the info. It is for all Boxsters. The reference to '98 and up is for the 996, since the 996 came out in '98.

I will get a price on the kit.

Jeff

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman