Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 7th, 2002, 12:21 AM   #1
Ken R

Report on sound system upgrade

I had a wonderful drive in my Boxster tonight in spite of the heavy rain. I ordinarily don't drive the car in the rain because the Pirelli's are downright dangerous when you get them on water, but tonight I picked up my car at Monney's auto stereo in Redwood City and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride across the bay to my home in Alamo.

About a year ago, I had a local shop in the Walnut Creek area do a major upgrade to my system. I added an ADS 6 channel amp, JL 3 way speakers and replaced the rears with 4 eclipse speakers. Well, to say the least I was under-whelmed with the results. I had spent close to 2 grand and I wasn't sure if it sounded any better then the original DSP system I replaced.

Last week I phoned Leo Monney (after reading the postings on this board)about improving my system and I agreed to bring in my car on Monday to add a subwoofer, new receiver and to fix some of the problems I was having due to the previous upgrade.

My initial impression after my drive home was positively incredible. I couldn't believe the imaging that was going on inside of my car. Previously I had thought that the Boxster was a bad environment for a sound system. Now I think just the opposite. At first, I thought that I would have to have Leo reduce the bass output on the rear 3 inch speakers because they were producing so much low frequency that I was afraid that I would fry those little speakers. Later I figured out that the bass wasn't really coming out of the 3-inch rears it was the sub being reflected off the firewall. I must admit that the sub doesn't go really low but they do take the lows away from the full range speakers and it eliminates a lot of distortion. I was never happy with the rears before. I don't know what he did but the rears don't sound anything like they did before now they have presence and aren't muffled. Overall, the sound if very tight, I can crank it up without fear of my woofer bottoming out and it is very clean producing very little distortion even at very high listening levels. The system actually images, before I could barely hear the speakers on the passenger side. Now it's almost like putting on a very good set of headphones.

Also without asking they completely rewired and checked the prior installation, they repositioned my amp, added a aux. input for MP3 or MD player. They even moved my front radar sensor from my k-40 into a more stealth position and moved the City/Freeway indicator light behind the microphone on the dash (really cool) and relocated the on/off switch. Leo also loaned me a car while they were working on it.

Overall, I am very pleased with the way the system sounds and the excellent service I received over at Monney's.

If anyone is considering the upgrade, I think its worthwhile to go all out and replace the stock Becker receiver and add the Sub. The sub isn't about adding a lot of bass it just cleans up the sound in the other speakers and lets you crank it up without distortion.

I live in the Alamo and work in Walnut Creek so if anyone wants to hear what their sound system can sound like for about $3 to 4k, I would be happy to give you a demo.

Ken
Old March 7th, 2002, 01:07 PM   #2
Clayton in Walnut Creek

Ken where is the sub located?

Did you keep the rest of your ADS and other components or change some of them out? What were you charged for the rework?

I live in Northgate area of Walnut Creek - I'd be interested in hearing the difference from my Becker system in my 00S.
Old March 7th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #3
Ken R

Re: Ken where is the sub located?

Clayton,
The sub is located on the door side in the passenger side footwell. It is angled so that the sub is pointed towards the driver. It takes up a little of the passengers foot space but not too much.

I kept the ADS 650, also kept the JL 3 ways and the 4 eclipse speakers in the rear. I think I paid about $300 for the rework and tuning. They did a fair amount of work, made a mounting board for the amp and covered it with the same grey carpeting in the front trunk, moved the amp, rewired it, replaced the crossovers, opened up the doors and the front speakers and reset them, not to mention he redid some of my k40 installation.

If you would like to check it out email me directly and you could come over to check it out. I had the Becker DSP system before and there is absolutely no comparision the difference between them is night and day.
Old March 8th, 2002, 10:47 AM   #4
RobynC

I'd be interested in comparing apples to apples...

...I too have a Monney system...perhaps we can hook up and compare notes?

Robyn

Special Note: I am extremely happy with my system!
Old March 8th, 2002, 09:40 PM   #5
Ken R

Re: I'd be interested in comparing apples to apples...

I would like to hear your system and compare. I am thinking about coming to the car care day on March 23rd. I am a CPA and am working 80 hour weeks now and I don't know if I can spare the day for the event.

Robyn, aside from the sub, what else did Leo do to your system?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman