Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 21st, 2002, 06:22 PM   #1
Scott Fisher (Redwood Shores)

Tech Tip on cleaning wheels

I have noticed over the past two years the inside of my wheels were turning yellow and staining...and after balancing my wheels I had rubber residue from tire weights remaining. Very non-esthetic for a garage Queen! P21s cleaner would not remove the stain no matter how much elbow grease I put into it. So I decided to remove my wheels today to check brake pads and rotors for upcoming track sessions. While the wheels were off I thought maybe a stronger cleaner would work. I took a piece of Never Dull and rubbed. This stuff worked incredibly well. The stain and road grime that looked like it would never come off, wiped away with very little effort. I then finished cleaning with soapy water, dried the wheels and placed a coat of P21s wax on the inside and outside of wheel. They look awesome....just like new! The only concern I had was did I remove a clear coat layer with the Never Dull. The surface did not appear to be altered or damaged, and I figure the wax will provide good protection. What do you guys think....besides I had too much time on my hands today Are my wheels hollow spoke because of the grooves or are they normal?

Old March 21st, 2002, 06:25 PM   #2

Re: Tech Tip on cleaning wheels *NM*

Old March 21st, 2002, 06:28 PM   #3

Before *NM*

Old March 21st, 2002, 06:29 PM   #4

After *NM*

Old March 21st, 2002, 07:15 PM   #5
Tool Pants

Looks good - I used acetone

To clean all the gunk off the wheels, including the wheel weight tape, when my tires were replaced last year. It was the strongest solvent had, and all the other stuff would take forever.

Acetone will dissolve the paint on repainted wheels, but not on the oem baked wheels.

The brown/yellowish stuff is cosmoline and the rest is tar.

Never heard of the product you used. Where did you find it?

Jeff
Old March 21st, 2002, 07:44 PM   #6

Should be able to get it almost anywhere..

Pepboys, or another auto store. Comes in a blue tin and is fabric soaked in solvent.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 01:05 PM   #7
Oggie (on Long island)

You can find Never Dull at

almost any marine supply store or any good harware store. It's great on stainless steel exhauset tips, but I wouldn't use it on my wheels (not even the inside). I used bug & tar remover when I took my wheels off to clean the insides, and that got all the cosmoline off. By the way, a local detailer says he has some wax that works really well on the wheels. I'm going to try some of that next time I remove my wheels. I noticed Tire Rack sells now sells wheel wax. Has anyone tried this?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman