Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 6th, 2002, 01:31 PM   #1
Chatter Box

It's okay to lock the trunk with the battery disconnected!

I was working on my cruise control problem last w/e. I went down to the store and bought some Torx wrenches, went down to the garage with a flashlight, some tools and prepared to pull off the cluster. When I got to the hazard switch, I realized that I couldn't pull it out without some pliers. My battery was disconnected, my top was down, trunk open, tools and some parts strewn across my seat, and now I have to go up 14 floors to my apartment and get some pliers. Oh well, they have cameras everywhere so I'm sure it will be alright. I decided to just leave everything as is, close the doors and go get my pliers. "Oh, wait." I thought to myself. "I should put down my trunk lid so that my car at least doesn't stand out as much." I continued.

Click, the trunk was now locked. I felt like the biggest tool. I wouldn't even be able to use the only fix I know about - the lighter drip charger because my battery isn't dead, it's freaking disconnected. Argh.

Well, Jeff says you just can't get to that quick release cable unless you have previously set it up for access but I'm going to give it my best shot. So I went up to get the pliers and a hanger. I don't know why, but when I came back down I just had this need to see the trunk refuse to open. Clunk. It opened. Whew!!!

It turns out, unless you lock the trunk electronically, you don't need electronics to unlock it. It's purely a mechanical lock unless you lock the doors and set the alarm. So for all you guys that have private garages, it might be worth your while to NOT lock your car doors so that in the event of a dead battery, you'll easily be able to open the trunk and recharge or replace.
Old August 6th, 2002, 02:42 PM   #2
David Sumners

(Message Deleted by Poster)

Message Deleted by Poster
Old August 6th, 2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Chatter Box

Huh?

How would you use it if your battery was disconnected?

My scenario was that I disconnected the battery and then closed the trunk. I thought it was the worst mistake I could have made but it turned out to be no foul.

Just thought it was intersting to note that as long as you don't electronically lock the doors, you have no need to worry about the trunk being inaccessible.
Old August 6th, 2002, 08:02 PM   #4
Eric in Dallas

Re: That is very interesting.

that battery is not needed for the trunk.

If the trunk had been locked electronically and the battery is disconnected, I think the cig lighter power method would still work since the battery is in parallel not series, but I'm not sure.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.