Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 21st, 2003, 09:59 AM   #1
Achtung Baby

Water pump failed right before the Doc Wong drive

It was a beautiful Saturday, uust as we were leaving the parking lot to embark on the Doc Wong drive, I heard a squealing noise and saw smoke from the engine area of my 2000 Box. I looked under the car and coolant was leaking out. Instead of a thrilling drive through the south bay hills, I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for the tow truck to arrive! My car was towed to Carlsen Porsche, where on Monday they confirmed it was a water pump failure, had it replaced, plus took care of several other minor things under warranty. I was impressed with the service. They called me first thing in the morning, and had the car ready before noon. They even have loaner Boxsters, but I couldn't get one because my car broke down on the weekend.

Since the car was only two years old, I was surprised to see the water pump failed. Anyone has similiar experience?
Old January 21st, 2003, 10:28 AM   #2
jonathan

Mine failed at 60K

Replaced under (extended) warrantee.
Old January 21st, 2003, 11:22 AM   #3
Achtung Baby

Question on extended warranty

What was the cost of the extended warranty? Can it only be obtained at the time of the new car purchase?
Old January 21st, 2003, 04:34 PM   #4
jonathan

WarranteeDirect...

It's an online company. Not bad to deal with but not easy either. Half the price of the Porsche warrantee and available as long as you are still within the manufacturer warrantee at the time of purchase. In retrospect it's probably better to go with the factory warrantee as it also builds goodwill, which can make a difference with Porsche.

So far I've only used the warrantee twice, once for the water pump (no issues) and once for an oil separator leak (denied, torn oil hoses not covered).
Old January 22nd, 2003, 08:49 AM   #5
Mike Lobenberg

Re: Water pump failed right before the Doc Wong drive

Sorry you missed out on the drive, it was truely a beautiful day. It was sad leaving you in the parking lot with a puddle under your car. I hope all is repaired and running well, and your next excursion is trouble free.

Mike silver/black/02/S

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman