Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 28th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #1
Chatter Box

Riteway Wheels rocks.

At the end of a set of Cups, I had a pronounced shimmy. I took my wheels to Riteway and told them to check the wheels, straighten if necessary, and mount some new Cups which I was dropshipping when they arrive. They said the wheels were fine, the tires were out of round. I put the wheels back on my car, drove to the track, and there was no shimmy. Whee! However, on the way home, the shimmy had returned. I knew I hadn't flat spotted them so I figured my tapeweights probably moved.

Step forward 3 or 4 weeks. I corded my street tires. I got 20k miles out of KD's (expected life 10k miles tops) including 5 or 6 AXs and 3 or 4 DEs. Anyway, these rims were definitely bent. So, I dropped them off at Riteway and had the wheels fixed (both left wheels were bent) and new tires mounted. I got Neros. They actually feel slippery compared to the KDs and Cups where the KDs show no noticable difference in norman street driving to the R compounds. Anyway, when I was picking up my wheels, I mentioned to Jose about needing to have my track wheels rebalanced and this time I wanted the weights taped down. He told me to bring them and he'd do it no charge. I tried to slip him a $20 when I was picking them up but he wouldn't have it. He fit me in just 3 days after mentioning it, before my track day, and didn't charge me.

BTW, the tape worked. I made it to and from the track and no shimmy. I now have 2 sets of smooth wheels for the first time in 20k miles. sigh.
Old August 28th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: Riteway Wheels rocks.

I agree. Why not subnit this as part of the Recommendations pages
Old August 28th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #3
Chatter Box

We have a recommendations page?

Kidding. I will.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman