Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 9th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Rolando

Driver door problem

One new problem with my 98 Boxster

The driver side door can't be open from the outside. Passenger door lock mechanism ok; driver side inside handle works fine, just the outside handle acts as locked all the time. Locking and unlocking seems to work on the door (two pulls from inside handle needed to open when locked, one pull when unlocked).

Any experience/information/diagrams whould be appreciated. Instructions on how to remove the door pannel may be a good start.
Thanks
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Bill Dally

Try Renntech

You may have better luck with a technical question like this on the Renntech Boxster forum.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showforum=24
Bill Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

Based on the parts manual the door lock mechanism is a complete unit. Part numbers for '98 are 8N1.837.016.A and/or 3B1.837.016.P. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2 at the moment.

Does the handle move when you try to open the door?

Does the window lower if the handle is raised (assuming it will)?

Door Panel Removal
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #4
Rolando

Thanks for responding so quickly.
Door handle moves just as when locked
Window lowers when handle is raised.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

This is pretty odd as it's usually the inside handle that fails due to the cable breaking. There's even a TSB that explains that one.

Other things to try, some of which you may have already done, include;
  • Locking/unlocking the door using the remote several times.
  • Disconnecting the battery to reset the system.

Other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Rolando

All this happened after I replaced the ignition switch. I even put back the old switch to check if it had something to do with this (old switch did not move back freely from starting position, making the starter go keep going after engine started -problem solved with new switch).

I'm thinking of removing the door panel to see what else can be wrong other than a back locking mechanism - a detailed drawing of the door and mechanism should be even better but can't find one.
Is the locking mechanism a dealer-only item or can it be found elsewhere?
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

Did you replace the entire switch or just the electrical portion? Did you have the key removed? Battery disconnected?

I'm pretty sure the door lock is a dealer only item unless you want to purchase a used one from a recycler.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #8
Rolando

Just the electrical switch. Not the entire lock.
I had the battery disconnected. I had the key on when I unhooked the switch (I read that it was needed) but removed when I disconnected the battery.
(Dealer prices are scary, they wanted $140 for the electrical part of the switch, most OEM switches are about $35 found it for $10.5 at http://www.autopartsheadquarters.com/epc-items.asp)

I don't exactly remember but I think problem did not show immediately after I reconnected the battery at the end of the switch replacement. I opened the door a couple of times then stopped working.
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #9
Rolando

Problem solved. -There is a pin that connects the door handle lever with the lock action arm. The pin either broke of just fell off. The solution was to attach the two pieces with a small screw and nut.

Attached is a picture of the door handle from the inside.

Rolando
Attached Thumbnails
Boxster lock fixed.JPG  

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman