Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 10th, 2002, 07:17 PM   #1
Joe Yang (Castro Valley)

PCA GGR autocross photos

This was the first time that PCA GGR ran autocross at Alameda Point. To ensure future permits at this location, the rules were strict about any reckless behaviors. The noise level was kept to a minimal with no timing PA announcements but through RF radios only, they also turned away a GT3 entry because of its loud exhaust pipe. PCA GGR even invited local enforcement to be on site as goodwill gesture to the locals.

The parking lot surface was relatively flat and smooth, although I thought the course layout was confusing and not well coned- my instructor agree with me. The afternoon session was shorten to only 3 runs due to power problems with hotlap timer. Being this was my first autocross experience, it wasn’t as satisfactory as I expected- was simply too much waiting around and not enough driving! But I would do it again because I had a blast!

Here is a photo of Chatter Box ‘before’ he did the 180 on the next turn…

Enjoy!

-joe

PCA GGR autocross 8/10/02
Old August 12th, 2002, 10:57 AM   #2
Chatter Box

The previous ones have been run better.

This was only my 3rd, so I can't say exactly what is the norm. But in the other 2 that I did, it ran very smoothly. Once your group was up, it was basically a moving line with very little time between each of your runs. This one ran so slow that I'd forget the course between each run.

Thanks for the photo, btw. I spun twice in all. I've never spun before so it was kind of frustrating. My first spin came on my first run as I was suprised by the direction of the track and made a foolish move to recover. My 2nd spin was on my first afternoon run and came as I tried to trailbrake as deep as possible and just moved my foot from brake to gas a teensy bit too late. I as on throttle before losing it but it was still gone.

The Boxsters weren't as competitive in this event as we have been in the previous 2. I still won my class (3 out of 3. yea!), but I finished 40th of 110 in PAX as compared to 8th of 107 at 3Com. We'll have to get them back in Marina.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman