Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions

Old February 12th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #1
cease

Tires for 2001 Boxster S with 18 inch Turbos

I have about 12K on original tires, have a flat spot on some of them so am getting vibration at higher speeds. I'm in the market for new tires and would like to get opinions on what to buy. I've read favorable reviews about the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires for the "S". Any opinions?

Also, I'd like to bump the size up a bit, say to 235's in the front and 285's in the rear. Anyone know of any issues. What is the limit or does one simply have to stay within width and height boundaries?

BTW, I'm lowering the car with a lowering kit. Should lower it an inch according to rep I spoke to.

Thanks all.
cease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Either Michelin PS2 or Bridgestone S03 are good all around choices.

Which lowering kit are you using and who is doing the installation?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Docdanracy

tires?

If you go to 235s front and 285s rear you need to check the specs for the tires you finally decide on. The recommended wheel widths may be larger than you stock turbo looks. I assume they are the stock 7.5 and 9 inch 18' sizes. Most 285s I believe recommend a 9.5 or 10 inch rim.
The type of tire you get would depend on what you use your car for. commute in any weather, daily driver, weekend in the sun only, TT, DE AX?
How did you flat spot a tire on a car with ABS? Autocross, DE? or just a bad tire?
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #4
cease

Tires/Wheels

thanks for the input on wheel width; something I'd not considered vs. tire sizes. As for the flat spots, the previous owner must have done it; I got hte car with 5K miles on it; the tire rep I spoke to suggested that a hard sliding stop probably did it.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #5
cease

Springs

Tom, I ordered the lowering kit from FVD-USA. Rep said they came from Germany. I'm getting the local Porsche dealer to install them.

Last edited by cease; February 13th, 2005 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Forgot to state installer
cease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #6
cease

You raise a good point Dan...w/ABS, how does one flat spot a tire. Who knows what happened before I got it. As for the wheels, I'm thinking about getting 19 inch Techart Silver Formulas. I do no racing, strickly street use, but like the looks of the Techart's shown on the Techart 2005 Boxster. Anyone have any experience with Techart wheels?
Old February 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #7
cease

Clarification. The Techart 19" wheels won't fit the Boxster. Too wide according to the dealer I was considering buying from.
And contrary to popular opinion, the ABS will allow one to flat-spot a tire or tires. According to my local Porsche "expert", if one mashes down hard enough, it will override the ABS and you will skid the tires. He said it must have been a severe panic stop. Nevertheless, I'm putting Pilot Sport PS2's on it as soon as it gets warmer. Can't test it right now here in Michigan.
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #8
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

I have never seen anything which supports the opinion of your expert. ABS is all about panic stops. The point is to mash down hard on the brake pedal and let ABS modulate the brakes to prevent the wheels from locking up. However, if the car is going sideways, there is nothing the ABS can do to prevent the tires from sliding across the pavement. I would suspect that the car has experienced a major slide or a spin. Either that, or the ABS failed. You might want to find a safe place to test the ABS on your car (preferably an open area of a wet parking lot).
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Docdanracy

yes Kevin!

Unfortunately your Porsche ABS expert needs some help. The whole point of ABS is to avoid sliding the tires for extended periods of time/distance.
You can flat spot a tire on a car with ABS such as at an AX if you turn too hard into a corner with too much speed and then get into loose debris like tire rubber. On a normal straight stop on the street...very unlikely.
Kevin is correct in his assesment of ABS. You would have to be doing some extreme stops at high speeds with the correct conditions for a flat spot to occurr.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:15 AM   #10
cease

Thanks Kevin and Dan. All good points. I will try the ABS next time it's dry here in MI to be sure mine actually is working properly. Something I've not yet had to experience. New PS2's are going to be purchased soon when the snow has left the ground.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical