Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 19th, 2002, 12:02 AM   #1
Geoff in Malibu

Does the intermittent wiper relay hack work on a 2001?

I've seen mention of replacing the wiper relay on earlier Boxsters to get an adjustable intermittent interval, and was wondering if it works on 2001 models? Did anything change in the electronics for 2001? Any known problems with this hack?

I think the hack calls for replacing the standard wiper relay with VW part # 3B0 955 531.

The owners manual doesn't show where any of the relays are, and which to replace. Is it obvious which relay to swap, or does anyone out there have the right info?

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2002, 09:14 AM   #2
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: Does the intermittent wiper relay hack work on a 2001?

It's position 16, which is all the way on the right and third from the bottom.

You should consider the rain sensor. I have it on my 2001 and I'm very happy with it.

Yoseif
Old November 19th, 2002, 10:58 PM   #3
Geoff in Malibu

How does the rain sensor work?

and what's involved (cost, installation, etc.)? It doesn't rain much here, so the relay swap seemed like an inexpensive, unobtrusive improvement for the times it would be useful.
Old November 20th, 2002, 09:19 AM   #4
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: How does the rain sensor work?

The rain sensor takes over your intermittent mode. It sweeps the wipers when it senses rain (actually, movement) on the windshield.

The installation is easy: You stick a sensor by the rearview mirror, run a cable to the relay panel and replace the wiper relay.

Suncoast was selling it for $199.95 when I bought it. The part number is 996.612.981.00.

Yoseif

Old November 21st, 2002, 10:23 AM   #5
Geoff in Malibu

Thanks for the info!

It's probably overkill for here, but if this turns into an el nino winter it would make sense. It's in the 80s this week, so thinking about rain isn't the first thing going through my mind right now.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman