Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 9th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Tkimmba75

Wannabe Boxster Owner got questions!

`Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and have been eyeing the 2005 boxster for sometime. I went for a test drive in a 2.7 and came away very impressed with the improved performance. The dealer announced right off the bat that they are offering 2004s at "invoice"! I passed on the invitation to the sales cubicle so that i can do more research. I've gathered some great info and now would like to ask some questions. I would really appreciate everyone's inputs:

1) 2006 boxsters are already available all over Los Angeles and the dealer has offered invoice pricing on new(?)(<200m) 2004s before any negotiating. How much a deal can/should be had on a 2005 sitting on the lot? I've heard that you have to value it as a 1 year old with very little mileage on it. I am thinking of a hardball offer of 20% off MSRP to start off. Am I just gonna get laughed at? What should I accept?

2) I forgot to test drive with top-up at highway. Is it as loud as people describe it? Does it ruin having premium audio?

3) Can you actually figure out the true invoice price of a porsche when options are involved? I can't find invoices on options when i search edmunds.... this makes it very difficult to figure how much room I have to negotiate.

Thanks for reading!
Tkimmba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #2
rbb1955

Asking 20% off for a 2005. We'll I am not sure but I don't believe that their invoice has a 20% margin. Nevertheless, what I have learned in sales is the only thing you do not want to hear is "NO." do your homework, visit the Porsche web site, ask dealers for quotes and arm yourself with enough information that you won't be laughed at. Remember, it is a buyers market when dealing with inventory sitting on the lot. Especially if a dealer has a two year back inventory sitting there taking up space and he's paying interest on.
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Tkimmba75

20% off MSRP on brand new Boxster?

Thanks Roy... and you're right. The base boxster has a MSRP/Invoice premium of about 14%. Funny thing is... I can't get any published data on what the invoices are on the options. Anyhow, I did my dealin yesterday and the best offer I got was 5.5K off MSRP for a 10.7% discount on a boxster with a sticker of 51K. Another offer was 4.4K off MSRP for a 9% discount on a boxster with a lower sticker of 46K. I am torn.... because the first offer is a better deal, but the second offer is much less cost at the end. The options that drive up the price on the first one are nice, but i don't have to have'em.

The 20% low ball??? I did get laughed at initially. but atleast it was behind the computer and it helped me hone in on the best possible deals. My urges are to goto the dealer and drive away today, but I gotta be patient. I am gonna give it a few more days to make sure that I have hit rock bottom prices.
Tkimmba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #4
rbb1955

Of the prices quotes you have received, what are the years? Are they all 2005's, or are they 2006's? You also mentioned there were some 2004's.

In a previous string, I had mentioned I bought a 2004 this past January. It had several options that if I was to buy/order the car, I wouldn't have configure/ordered my car this way. The list was $65k and I walked away with the "S" for $47k. Of course the car had some incentives. It was used in March of 2004 at the Houston Auto Show, but only had 61 miles on the OD. It was on the dealer's showroom floor for 11 months.

Porsche America gave the dealer some extra funds since it was a show car. The "S" is in speed yellow, and they tricked it out with yellow stiched seats, yellow console, yellow calipers [yep, it is a $3,800 option-better spent elsewhere, but it does get the complements], Bose system, yellow dials, yellow roll bars, etc. The "S" is fantastically appointed, with complementary yellow accents, however it lacks the on board computer, rain sensor wipers, and PMS, 3 items I would want, if I was doing it again. Nevertheless, I was pleased with my selection. I live in DFW, and the dealer flew me in to Houston to pick the car up, and even painted the Speedster Humps I bought off of E-BAY to match the car for no additional charge.

I believe the deals are there to have, and with the low advertised 2.7% interest on the used models it makes shopping selections even easier, it is just finding the right car. One last note, before the Boxster I owned an CLK and I miss some of the luxury items mentioned above, but I wouldn't trade any of them for the performance I get. Even if the Boxster is made in Finland, the fit, finish and quality is better than the German made MB. This is also my second "yellow" car, my first was a 1979 RX 7 that I still own. It also happens to be my favorite color.

Good luck in your search. Remember it is a buyer's market, even more so with the glut of used cars and low interests rates.

Last edited by rbb1955; August 10th, 2005 at 09:16 PM. Reason: grammar
rbb1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #5
rbb1955

2) I forgot to test drive with top-up at highway. Is it as loud as people describe it? Does it ruin having premium audio?

I failed to add my 2 cents to this question. From what I understand the 2005's have an advantage over prior models in that they have a premium top with extra insulation. The 2004's have a glass back window VS plastic on older models. I have the premium system, and with or without/top up or down, the premium system is good, but the noise does interfear with with listening pleasures at driving speeds above 60 MPH. Nevertheless, the pure adrenaline, handling at higher speeds you really don't need the sound system. I also found at the higher speeds it is difficult to talk on the handsfree cellular phones.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman