Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:44 AM   #1
bke986s

Questions

2 questions -
1) Will any standard aftermarket radio fit in a 2001 Boxster S? My volume control has stopped working, and to replace the radio is $500. I am pretty sure I can get a better radio at a cheaper price than that.
2) Has anyone ever heard of the throttle pedal breaking its connection with the throttle cable? I had my car serviced last Friday, then while driving on Monday the throttle wasn't working correctly. I looked at it and the pedal was no longer connected. This is amazingly expensive to fix.

Thanks -
bke986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Mdreiver

1) Pretty much. Headunits are available in more than one size but there is a "standard" and standard units can be installed where the factory head unit used to be. Professional installers are good at making small adjustments as necessary.

2) Throttle cable? What? On your 01S?
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3
blinkwatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bke986s
2 questions -
1) Will any standard aftermarket radio fit in a 2001 Boxster S? My volume control has stopped working, and to replace the radio is $500. I am pretty sure I can get a better radio at a cheaper price than that.
Buy a Eclipse head set,you wont regret it.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4
doug_d (7.7/77777)

your car has e-gas, so there is no cable connecting the pedal to the throttle. could be the gizmo that electronically connects the gas pedal to the car computer.
doug_d (7.7/77777) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

There's still a "cable" attached to the pedal. However, it doesn't go all the way back to the throttle body. It probably just goes to an electronic transducer under the dash. You can see in this picture the cable/rod which must have popped out. If a piece of the plastic pedal broke off, that would indeed be expensive. They only sell a complete pedal assembly for something like $250. The crummy plastic hinge at the bottom of my pedal had become wobbly. Rather than pay the silly price for a new pedal, I added a $1.00 cabinet hinge from Home Depot.
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:45 PM   #6
bke986s

Thanks

The pedal did break where it connects to the rod. Your estimate on the parts was pretty spot on - with the LPCA discount, it was $260. I never even considered fixing it myself, it ended up being a $600 lesson.

Thanks for the info on the radio. For some reason the volume control is working again, but I should look at another radio. I still need to install my rear speakers, so may as well do both at once.
bke986s is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman