Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 20th, 2001, 03:51 PM   #1
mark

headlight removal

Ok, this is pathetic.. but I can't remove the headlights on my boxster! Ok, I got the car used and when I tried to use the headlight removal tool, it will not "catch" on anything.

My question is,
Does the tool insert into something(Is it a "male" tool, like an allen wrench hole), if this is the case... is the hole plastic? I'm afraid the 1st owner may have stripped it if that's the case.

Or does something go inside the removal tool? the same way a socket will fit in something(female type connection)?

You can email me at [email protected] or post a response here.
Thanks
Old September 20th, 2001, 04:34 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: headlight removal

Well, as you may expect it's pretty simple (wink)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1.

The tool inserts according to the directions in the manual. Pull back the carpet and remove the plug. Insert the tool and give it a turn. I believe it's counterclockwise for the right side and clockwise for the left side. It *is* snug and may take a little fiddling with the light to get it to slip out the first time.
Old September 20th, 2001, 06:10 PM   #3
mark

Re: headlight removal

well, I got that far. The problem is, the tool is not grabbing anything! I'm thinking the original owner may have overtightened it and the hole it's supposed to go in was rounded off.
Old September 20th, 2001, 08:12 PM   #4
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

It's pretty unlikely. Have you tried both sides? *NM*

Old September 20th, 2001, 11:43 PM   #5
Sandy

A couple of pointers...

Excuse me if you're already aware of some of these:

The tool is inserted into the opening covered by the ROUND rubber plug, not one of the openings covered by the thumbnail-shaped rubber flaps (headlight & foglight adjustments).

The tool has a FEMALE hex socket tip which slides over a MALE steel hex (Allen) "pin" inside the headlight assembly. You can shine a flashlight into the opening and easily see if the pin is broken-off or rounded-out (unlikely).

To UNLOCK the headlight assemblies, the tool is rotated CCW on the car's left side (driver's side), and CW on the car's right side.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman