Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #1
james

Question Mixing Tire Brands

I have continental and want to switch to Michelins. However, my continental are wearing out a 2:1 ratio (rear to front) and with objects cause flast (which means new tires) I never seem to have the compete set worn out at the same time. To that point, I just purchased rears six months ago in hopes I would be able to have the fronts and the rears wear out together. Unfortunately that was not the case! My fronts are really done now and my rears have 90% tread left

I would like to get full use of the continentals. So would you “mix brands” and run Michelins on the front until with continentals on the rear wear out? Thus allowing me to finally replace the rears with the matching Michelins? Am I being too cheap? My 2003 S Boxster is my daily driver not race or autoX.
Thoughts…
"While driving my Boxster on twisty roads for hours is absolutely no replacement for spending quality time with my wife and family, it is at least why I keep my Boxster." copyright 2008 James E. Smith IV
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #2
mikefocke

I wrote this up for the rear 2 tire replacement but it works as well for the front.

Option 1: Stick with what you have and replace only the 2 rears. Then next time plan to change all 4.

Pro: Keeps the tread pattern and handling characteristics mostly consistent. Moderate cost.

Con: Don't get the fun of changing. Don't get the tires you might really want right now.

Option 2: Change only the rear 2 with another brand/pattern.

Pro: Moderate cost.

Con: Most inconsistent handling. May not be an issue in normal highway driving but in the wet and at the limits or in an emergency?

Option 3: Change all 4 with less expensive tires

Pro: Consistent handling. Moderate cost.

Con: All tires are built with compromises. What did the cheap tire leave out to get to this price point? It can be nothing but advertising and profit that make the difference. Hard to tell.

Option 4: Change all 4 with the tires you really want

Pro: Get best tire this way. Totally new experience.

Con: Costs as much as 70% more than options 1, 2 or 3
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #3
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I wrote this up for the rear 2 tire replacement but it works as well for the front.

Option 1: Stick with what you have and replace only the 2 rears. Then next time plan to change all 4.

Pro: Keeps the tread pattern and handling characteristics mostly consistent. Moderate cost.

Con: Don't get the fun of changing. Don't get the tires you might really want right now.

Option 2: Change only the rear 2 with another brand/pattern.

Pro: Moderate cost.

Con: Most inconsistent handling. May not be an issue in normal highway driving but in the wet and at the limits or in an emergency?

Option 3: Change all 4 with less expensive tires

Pro: Consistent handling. Moderate cost.

Con: All tires are built with compromises. What did the cheap tire leave out to get to this price point? It can be nothing but advertising and profit that make the difference. Hard to tell.

Option 4: Change all 4 with the tires you really want

Pro: Get best tire this way. Totally new experience.

Con: Costs as much as 70% more than options 1, 2 or 3

Mike,

I understand your points above. My question my be nothing more that a distinction without a difference but does it matter if the new set is on the front vs the rear?
"While driving my Boxster on twisty roads for hours is absolutely no replacement for spending quality time with my wife and family, it is at least why I keep my Boxster." copyright 2008 James E. Smith IV
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Docdanracy

If the tires have a similar wear rating and usage type (extreme summer etc.) it is not that big of a deal. Then some here get upset over whether theiri tires are "N" rated or not

Newest tires are suggested to be on the rear, but your rears are not that old or worn at this point.
nomex on
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 10:10 PM   #5
havi

Mixers newborn photography minneapolis
havi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 01:10 AM   #6
havi

shocked carwrapsstocktonca.com
havi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2021, 06:00 AM   #7
daniyal11

This android application was made for the employees working at the Food Corporation of India. This is a HUMANFCI Pay Slip, RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. It helps the employees of the FCI to get their details off of the database of the Food Corporation of India.
daniyal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2021, 03:34 AM   #8
daniyal11

The only thing I had difficult with https://de.altounlockpdf.com/ is the using of toolbar. It is pathetic for me to work on this. But the other things pf system works well.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 04:30 AM   #9
daniyal11

This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Youve got a design here thats not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. Great job, indeed. iptv uk
Old September 7th, 2021, 02:27 AM   #10
looneyhans

I really loved it here but are there any recent updates? Thanks https://weldingchicagoil.com
looneyhans is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman