Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 11th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #1
Joe Boxster

Possible RMS leak on Tip Boxster

Hi everyone. I'm new to this list and get to start with the dreaded RMS question. I have a 2000 Boxster S Tip. At 35,000 miles it has developed an intermittent leak. Most of the time it doesn't leak at all, but there have been a few spots after warm days. Thinner oil I would imagine. I haven't determined if it is the RMS yet but it is dripping from that area. Some people recommend just keeping an eye on an RMS leak and then changing it at clutch replacement time. I obviously don't have a clutch so what do you folks advise.

Joe
Vallejo
Joe Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #2
ar38070

I would not worry about it till it starts to continuously drip. My 98 manual is doing the same thing. The interesting thing is that it does not drip if I drive the car often. I did not drive the car for 2 months and found a couple of drops of oil under the car. Cleaned it up, drove it at the track for a day, now the car has been sitting for a four days and there are no drips.

A friend of mine has a 2000 tip. He had some wetness but not enough to actually drip and he took it in to get the RMS replaced. The first time they replaced it it started to leak worse right away. So it went right back. The second time they replaced it it still leaks worse than when he first took it in. At the moment he is living with it the way it is.
ar38070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Joe Boxster

It got worse after it was replaced? That's a new one. Thanks for your help. I'll keep an eye on it....and drive often!
Joe Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman