Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 8th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #1
KNTJAFO

Unhappy Ignition switch

Ignition switch in 2002 986 is broken. By broken I mean the car starts, but the key is hard to insert/remove and the wheel lock does not engage. It started doing this a couple of days ago and it appears the the final demise of the switch is soon at hand! . I have searched this site and others. Replacing the switch is obviously the answer. The sites I have visited seem to only deal with the replacement of the electrical portion of the switch. Tom M ( of this forum) mentioned in a post that he had these same symptoms and replaced the switch. Tom M. what exactly did you replace. Do you have part numbers, etc. Thanks for any help.

Butch
29 Palms CA
KNTJAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Can't be of much help as the dealer replaced mine as the last item I had done before the warranty expired the next day!

If you are just replacing the electrical portion you might look at the list of "similar threads" at the bottom of this thread to see if they help. Other than that I'd suggest checking over at renntech.org or see if Loren posts here.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #3
KNTJAFO

Thanks Tom,
Guess I am relly not sure how much of the switch must be replaced. Will check other sites again. Thanks.
Butch
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

It sounds like you just need to do the electrical portion based on your description.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #5
dedes

oldskuracer has the part maybe?

See Thread

10. Updated ignition switch and housing (Never Installed)
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #6
70Sixter

From ToolPants at Renntech. About post #9 it gets specific.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...=ignition+lock
PCA since 1970

http://www.babblers.org/forums/vbgoo...597656&zoom=14
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #7
mttfnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTJAFO View Post
Ignition switch in 2002 986 is broken. By broken I mean the car starts, but the key is hard to insert/remove and the wheel lock does not engage. It started doing this a couple of days ago and it appears the the final demise of the switch is soon at hand! . I have searched this site and others. Replacing the switch is obviously the answer. The sites I have visited seem to only deal with the replacement of the electrical portion of the switch. Tom M ( of this forum) mentioned in a post that he had these same symptoms and replaced the switch. Tom M. what exactly did you replace. Do you have part numbers, etc. Thanks for any help.

Butch
29 Palms CA
Hey - did you end up getting it fixed? Mine seems to be going out on my 2003 with 60,000 miles, the dealer in Rancho Mirage says that it is not unusual - I hope they can do it fast and that it won't cost too much! With mine, the key slips all around and I have to position it just so to get all the electrical stuff up (AC blower, headlights...) and when I take it out of the hole, I get the gong telling me that the key is still in.
mttfnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #8
KNTJAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttfnn View Post
Hey - did you end up getting it fixed? Mine seems to be going out on my 2003 with 60,000 miles, the dealer in Rancho Mirage says that it is not unusual - I hope they can do it fast and that it won't cost too much! With mine, the key slips all around and I have to position it just so to get all the electrical stuff up (AC blower, headlights...) and when I take it out of the hole, I get the gong telling me that the key is still in.
I ordered the switch from Autohaus AZ for about nine dollars and replaced it myself. Not really that hard to do. Dealer will "hurt" you with that repair. I was quoted $142.00 for the switch and 2 hours labor! Great instructions on this site.
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #9
mttfnn

thanks!
mttfnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman