Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 6th, 2001, 07:03 AM   #1
boko (01S LB/GG/MB)

spot on wheels & can't get off, any advice Please Help

I have 18" speed design wheels. I was cleaning car for first time which I've had for a week. I used P21S wheel cleaner (spray not gel) which worked fine except I have two small spots (smaller than dime) and one large spot (slightly bigger than half dollar) that will not come off drivers side rear wheel. It looks like black brake dust but scrubbing and P21S won't remove. Any advice on non-harmfull wheel cleaner that might be more aggressive? Hopefully something I can buy at a local store so I don't have to wait for a product to be shipped ordering online. A while back there was a post on Acetone (is that right) or something that someone was using to clean wheels. Should I try that? Please help it's driving me crazy, thanks.
Old May 6th, 2001, 08:09 AM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Re: spot on wheels & can't get off, any advice Please Help

I'm reluctant to suggest anything since I don't know what/if there's a finish on your wheels. If they're clear coated then I'm not sure what the best solution would be. If they're not clear coated then you could try an aluminum/wheel polish which could be the next step (after a cleaning spray) up the cleaning ladder. You just don't want to use an overly aggressive product - you want to move up in steps.
Old May 6th, 2001, 12:20 PM   #3
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

Re: if the spots are on the painted surface...

then meguiars cleaner-wax works well. it is my favorite product for quick touch ups on all paint. it's cheap, available anywhere, mild and leaves some form of protection on your paint.
Old May 6th, 2001, 01:22 PM   #4
Tool Pants

I'm the acetone guy

When it was time to replace the tires on my '97 I thought it was a good time to clean the inside of the rims from 4 years of tar, dirt, and cosmolite (sp). They are the standard 17" artic silver painted rims with a clear coat.

Got them as clean as I could with the usual stuff. Got tired of playing around with it and tested acetone. I expected it to dissolve the clear coat, then the silver color coat. Instead it dissolved all the junk the other cleaners left behind. Used it on the face side of the rims as well.

I'm not into the wheel thing so I do not know what you have. So try it in a place that cannot be seen.

Jeff

Old May 8th, 2001, 05:55 PM   #5
boko

Thx for help guys. I used denatured alcohol and it worked like champ. *NM*

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:05 AM   #6
x99shark

Kitty Dukakus likes it too *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman