Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 10th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #1
Stryke

New to the Boxster world....

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a 1998-1999 Boxster 5 spd. I have read many reviews and while they all talk about the "fun to drive" factor and the great handling, many seem to share one common problem. Reliability! I have read horror stories of the vehicle spending more time at the dealer than on the road. I was just wondering if some people just like to whine or if any of you Boxster owners have experienced mechanical problems of any sort on a relatively new, low mileage vehicle. I have had a Lexus now for about 2 years and aside from an Alternator (it has over 100K miles) and a battery I have had no problems at all. I had a 1990 Mustang GT Convertible for 4 year in college and I want to go back to a sports car for a little while. Any comments on the Boxster's reliability or any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Gil
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #2
Catalog Guy

Re: New to the Boxster world....

Most Boxsters are reliable cars that can be driven daily. While no Porsche will be as reliable as your Lexus, you should not have to worry. These cars do have some problems and it is not uncommon for a Boxster to require a few dealer trips in their first 20,000 miles. When problems do happen, people tend to come to the boards for information, so it sometimes seems like everyone around is having problems. You can go back to thinking about the fun to drive part
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #3
Stryke

Re: New to the Boxster world....

Thanks for the reassurance. The thing is, the one I'd be buying would be 3-4 years old and have in the range of 30,000-40,000 miles. It would also be my daily driver. One of my businesses is a used car dealership in NYC so I buy and sell cars often. I also buy them when they have taken the big hit on depreciation which is why it would be the year and mileage I mentioned. I can get one for cash for around $19,000. I just don't want to start having to spend money every month on repairs (especially on a German car). One thing that many have posted on other boards is that their problems included blown engines and trannys. Those are some real expensive repairs if it's not under warranty (which mine would not be under). One other question, I am 6'1" and weigh about 215lbs. I know they do not have a tilt steering wheel in the car. How do the bigger guys fit into them? Are they room, comfortable, etc?
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #4
Magic Mtn Dan

Where have you heard horror stories?

Just remember that the bad stories are posted a lot more often than the good ones. There's nothing "exciting" about a post that says, "I love my car" or, "My car is X years old and it's great!"

As for fitting in the Boxster, no problem. I'm a lot bigger than you and I fit just fine. There's one Boxster owner that's 6'9" and he fits too (don't know exactly how but I've seen him get in and out so I know it's true).

Shop around and get the car checked out (do a CarFax too). Then drive and enjoy.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #5
Stryke

Re: Where have you heard horror stories?

I read all the reviews on Car and Driver for the 1999 Boxster. They mentioned that in the first 40,000 miles they had to make over 10 unscheduled trips to the dealer with 7 more just for the convertible top. I also read the reviews on epinions.com and carreview.com. Many were complaining of problems compared to some other brands. Just wanted to make sure it's not a common thing.
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #6
Chatter Box

Comfort and fit -- some minor unpleasantries

I'm 6'2" and I have a few minor problems with fit.

It's hard to get everything lined up - steering reach, distance to pedals, and knees underneath the wheel. I have a pretty complex system of compromises setup by now, but these are things that I struggled with over time. (BTW, for the first 2.5 years, no harnesses to worry with, but recently I have to deal with those too.)

1. My first problem was being able to depress the clutch pedal without my chin hitting the dash (lower portion). I eventually found a position which alleviates this problem.
2. My next problem was trying to keep my legs low enough so that I could drive 9&3 without my fists getting hung up on my knees. It's a minor problem still, but not too bad. (I track and AX a lot so this is important to me. Anyhow, I do manage.)
3. Because my right knee comes up to the side of the steering wheel, I find my foot is always at an awkward angle and it's hard to heel-toe. If I've got the brakes warmed up on the track, the travel is so low that I have a hard time keeping my foot off the gas pedal after the shift is complete.
4. After all that other stuff got resolved or at least dealt with so as to minimize the frustration, I got harnesses. At that point, I realized that my position didn't allow me to turn the wheel sufficiently for track/ax use without leaning forward. With harnesses, you can't lean forward (at least not if they are really doing any good). So, all those clearences I had worked on got unsettled and I had to try for another postion. I now have the steering wheel extended some (it extends out and up at the same time) and the seatback is more upright. With harnesses on tight, it is still a little tight to get my hands all the way around the wheel, but I can do it and my legs aren't bumping into anything. It's still kind of tricky sometimes braking without accidentally being on the gas at the same time but I have developed a pretty good reverse rollover which helps.
5. I just added a BK extension and I now notice that my head is much higher on the seatback than I thought. I can actually bump the padding on the extension a bit if I sit up just right. I know this might be dangerous if I had a wreck without a helmet on but I can't get it right so I'm risking it.

Other than that, the Boxster has tons of interior room. It's small, but it's only a 2 seater and fits most people better than most 4 seaters regardless of overall size. Remember, although there is no way to raise/lower the steering wheel directly, it extends on an upward slant. The idea is that if you are taller, you want the seat to be further away from the front to accomodate your legs. Then, you need to bring the steering wheel back too. As you do this, it raises up. This is good because you have to squeeze your big ole legs under it and chances are you, want your seat raised too to accomodate sufficient thigh support.

Robert from Agoura Hills is way taller than either of us and tracks his car a lot. I believe he's using GT3 seats too. So, you will fit in the car. You just might need to experiment with all the angles more than you thought you would. Good luck with the car.
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #7
Chatter Box

Of course, by "chin", I meant "shin" *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman