Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #1
box168

smog check in San Francisco or San Mateo area

Hello all,

Does anyone know of a smog test center in San Francisco or the San Mateo area that can smog a boxster s without opening the engine compartment?

Thanks!
box168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Check the smog notice you received from the DMV, if it says “Test Center Only” (about 1 in 10 are set this way at random), you are required to go to a Test Only smog station. They tend to be more expensive and my recent smog check did involve the engine check.

The guy had no clue where the engine was and could barely drive a stick. DON’T go to the Test Only center at Old County and Holly in San Carlos!

If there is no restriction, you can go to any “Smog Pro” type place, usually with a coupon it’s ~$50.00. I think it’s going to be hit-or-miss if they decide to hassle with the visual engine inspection. I use the Smog Pro on El Camino near Holly in San Carlos and they always do a good job on my other cars.
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #3
ar38070

I had my 98 smogged at Quality Tune-up at 400 El Camino in San Carlos last year. As far as I know they did not open the engine cover.
ar38070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2021, 06:57 AM   #4
richardsjenkins70

They tend to be more expensive and my recent smog check did involve the engine check.

- Concrete Masonry
richardsjenkins70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman