Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Aussie

IMS/RMS fix for 2010 Boxster?

Hi everyone,

I had all but purchased a 2003 Boxster manual but pulled out at the last minute. I had the PPI done at Porsche and everything was fine, no RMS leak etc. The thing I couldn't handle was the fact that the dealer was virtually saying that unless I bought a Porsche warranty that I was asking for trouble with a Boxster because of the probability of engine failure. Now I went into this fully aware of the engine issues after researching for many months on various Boxster resources online. Maybe they just wanted to sell a warranty (probably most likely explanation, but still).

I just can't believe that a 5 year old Porsche needs to have a warranty to cover possible engine failures. I mean you wouldn't worry about an engine failure on any other 5 year old pre-owned car with a full service history and a thorough PPI, why a Porsche. The answer is obviously that the Boxster has a great weakness in its engine that is well know on these forums.

So I didn't get my dream car and am now going to wait until the new 2010 model comes out. Now that the rant above is over I am wondering whether the new Boxster will have the IMS/RMS issue redesigned so hopefully it doesn't exist in the new model.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #2
mikefocke

This is preposterous fear mongering.

Done by someone trying to make more money off you. To trust anything a car salesman says is just ... the guy's whole economics are pitting his self interest against yours. He gets paid more the more he gets you to believe his stories. He sensed he could talk you into a new model..so he tried to make the possibility sound like a sure thing.

The engine can fail. Surely all engines can fail. And it will cost a lot to fix if it does fail (say $8 to $20k depending on whose engine and who does the work). But you can buy that '03 for the right price now, enjoy driving it and, if the engine fails (which of course won't happen on all of the cars), replace it with a more powerful engine that cures all the IMS and RMS problems and a whole lot more and the total cost will be less than you'd pay for a Boxster in mid next year with the new engine whose engine may well have its own set of problems.

Oh, the economics of this strategy is that you have only a 0-20% chance (by most estimates I've read) of having to spend the last $20k on the replacement engine.

I like those odds. My '99 and '01S Boxsters have now cost me $12 a month in unscheduled maintenance costs over 5+ years. I declined an offer of an extended warranty when I bought the car. The warranty would have expired, I'm way way ahead of the game.

I don't think much of extended warranties either. Been involved in too many where the insurance company found a reason to not pay. CPO...that is the only warranty I'd trust.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
KenJ

Agree...

listen to Mike. He always has sage advice or comment. It's true that we're at risk a bit. It spoiled it for me for a while, but now I can't wait to get back out and Autocross. I've got an '03S since new with only 28k miles with alot of autocrossing. I am, however, mentally preparing for options down the road. I have a car I really like and am mostly 'willing' to opt for getting this car repaired/upgraded if something goes terribly wrong.

I think the new, non-IMS engines start in '09 (and I think 310hp).

good luck,

kj
'73 911 E, #44, GGR AX 11
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Docdanracy

right Ken,
the new motor starts in 2009.
Less parts, no IMS, direct injection, dry sump, and a few other tricks IIRC

Oh look, the sky is falling.

Either you want to own a Boxster or you don't. Yes there are motors that explode, but there are 1,000s more that never have a problem...
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Grantsfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdanracy View Post
right Ken,
the new motor starts in 2009.
Less parts, no IMS, direct injection, dry sump, and a few other tricks IIRC

Oh look, the sky is falling.

Either you want to own a Boxster or you don't. Yes there are motors that explode, but there are 1,000s more that never have a problem...
Sky fell on me. and I'm $6K poorer after my motor went poof but just drove the boxster through Santa Cruz mountains and have to say it is a very fun car.

...Oh then my shifter came undone from shift cable and all of a sudden I had the feeling I was driving a modern day 914! What is it about Porsche and those cheap snap ball connectors on critical systems of the car?

Big question is will the new motor fit in old cars without huge investment? It might be worth buying a new crate motor if they arent too expensive.
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #6
dougster01

I agree with Mike. I bought my 2001 Boxster exactly two years ago with 13K miles on her. I've only put 8-9K miles on her, and did a little maintenance immediately upon buying her (oil/oil filter change; air filter; replaced brake fluid; and installed new battery). I just changed the oil/oil filter recently after 7500 miles.

I almost bought a 2 year extended warranty, but decided to trust the PPI and my instincts. The car runs great, and the drive home from work is pure therapy - no matter how long, or how bad the day was. Could my rear main seal go tomorrow - sure... but that's life, stuff happens. If having to replace a RMS every few years (or every few months in the case of Tom (smile)) is the price of owning a Boxster, and enjoying that wonderful sound when you wind her past 5K RPMs, or enoying the wonderful feeling of pushing her hard through a tight curve - then that's cool. Many of these cars never need to have the RMS replaced.

Go with your gut feeling. If you truly want the Boxster, then go back in a week or two, and if they still have it, offer them $1K less. The ball is in your court, and not the car salesman trying to play games with you. Good luck!

Days gone by...
72 Triumph TR-6
73 Triumph TR-6
85 Pinnafarina Spyder
86 Audi Quattro 4000 CS
88 Porsche 944
00 Mazda Miata MX-5

dougster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Beelzy

I bought my 04 Boxster and also decided to buy the warranty. I made sure
to read the fine print, and within 2 months had to use the warranty for a
key fob replacement. I figured with a Porsche, that some things would require
the dealer to assist and a warranty comes in handy for those situations.

Funny thing is, I NEVER bought extended warranties on ANYTHING, until I
decided to acquire my Boxster. Irony coupled with Passion.
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #8
patienttype

Dunno. I bought my 2000S from a private party with 4 years left on a bumper to bumper warranty. I've read the stuff about the flaws known to Porsche in the 1999 standard-size engine and, in the last year, have read about a dozen or more blown Boxter motors in cars of various vintages here on this forum.
I NEVER get warranties on appliances and such. But, gotta say, having the warranty on my Boxster makes it easier to sleep nights.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Docdanracy

Do more reading, it is not just the 2.5Ls that have problems.

the 3.2S and the 996 motor (any M96 motor) has the potential for catastrophic engine failure...
the engine architecture is the same on all 2.5, 2.7, 3.2, and 3.4L motors.

do you think it is just coincidence that the factory did a complete redesign of the new 2009 motor?
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #10
baxter

where can we read more about the new engine. is it the m97? what changes were made that addressed the problems with the m96? i get dfi, but you don't read a whole bunch on the porsche web site about a new engine. or specific changes that would be related to current problems. is there a source you are aware of?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.