Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
clemsonc

How harsh is PSS9 for the street?

Hey guys?

I am thinking about PSS9 (10) on my boxster. Would love to drive it on the track with best handling.

However, I don't know how harsh it will ride on the street, since boxster is still have to be my daily driver for these couple years.

If you have some first/second hand experience, please share it. Thanks.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/...c291d27b_m.jpg
Clemson's Boxster Blog

StreetBox (1999 Boxster 2.5L, Bilstein Sport, H&R Springs, Hardtop, SPORTECH Muffler)
SpecBox (1997 Boxster 2.5L)

Last edited by clemsonc; February 24th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.
clemsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
KenJ

Hi Clemson,

I wish I could report on PSS9s without the heavier bars I use. My whole set up is harsher and I don't use it much other than autocross. It's tolerable as is - if I stay out of the slow lane (i.e trailering tires) on the freeways.

There are several people that visit this site that are just fine with the firmer feel..... Trygve, Kevin (track guys) come to mind and they use their cars daily.

At your stage (presumption on my part), keep bringing the Boxster out to autocrosses for more seat time first - hop in for a ride with me at the next one. You'll notice quite a difference in our cars.

kj
'73 911 E, #44, GGR AX 11
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
clemsonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJ View Post
Hi Clemson,

I wish I could report on PSS9s without the heavier bars I use. My whole set up is harsher and I don't use it much other than autocross. It's tolerable as is - if I stay out of the slow lane (i.e trailering tires) on the freeways.

There are several people that visit this site that are just fine with the firmer feel..... Trygve, Kevin (track guys) come to mind and they use their cars daily.

At your stage (presumption on my part), keep bringing the Boxster out to autocrosses for more seat time first - hop in for a ride with me at the next one. You'll notice quite a difference in our cars.

kj
Thanks Ken for the offer. I would like to hop in your car for a ride. (helmet on)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/...c291d27b_m.jpg
Clemson's Boxster Blog

StreetBox (1999 Boxster 2.5L, Bilstein Sport, H&R Springs, Hardtop, SPORTECH Muffler)
SpecBox (1997 Boxster 2.5L)
clemsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #4
TI (Alameda)

My thoughts on the PSS9 etc.

I overhauled the suspension about 3-4 years ago when my car was at almost 90K miles. The new setup was: PSS9, TRG front camber plates, TRG adjustable sway bars (incl. TRG drop links). The overall right height is just 1/2" lower.

On the track it's waaaaaay better, and it is not harsh at all. It took me some time to realize I could corner a little faster, since I'd done so many track miles with the old feel. By the way, I'm running Kumho Victoracer V700 tires on the stock 17" wheels.

On the street, the car is definitely not cushy. It's hard to describe how a car feels, but it's a stiff ride. There's a combination of factors contributing, and I suspect they all contribute their fair share to the harsher street ride:
- suspension stiffness
- very heavy 18" 993 wheels, 10" in the rear
- low profile (and heavy) 18" tires (285-30 rear)

So, the suspension plus heavy/wide 18" wheels+tires and an unforgiving tire sidewall, make for quite a teeth-rattling ride when you go over railroad tracks or rough pavement. But it is tremendous in the corners and on the track. And it's my daily-driver-only-car so obviously I'm used to it and it's OK.

Here are 3 links for stuff I've written up previously related to this subject:

1. New suspension install

2. Broken sway bar

3. Finally deciding to stiffen the rear bar

Here are some photos...

TI (Alameda) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #5
ff42racer

springs

We were at TRG this weekend and Scott in parts was telling me that PSS9 is supposed to be set at STOCK ride height. If you want to lower it he suggested Eibach springs which you can get in a shorter size. What he was telling me was that if you lower the car with the supplied springs that you wind up compressing the helper springs which take out the travel they would normally provide.
ff42racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #6
KenJ

Huh?

A couple of things don't make sense to me (but, I'm no expert either):

1) I 'think' the helper springs only "help" keep the main springs from coming out of the upper hats on rebound. As far as compressing the helper springs, I 'think' they are compressed the same at any level - they slide up and down with the height adjustment and carry the same weight whether high or low. No?

2) The height adjustment is a real reason to get the PSS9s. Since they have adjustable spring perches, it's intended to be easy.

Those TRG statements have me baffled.

kj
'73 911 E, #44, GGR AX 11
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #7
dougmack

Lowering PSS9's

I'll bet that there's a range of height adjustment of the PSS9's that's acceptable and that if you want to lower it more than that, you're better off doing it with shorter springs. That's a guess on my part.

My understanding about helper springs is like yours - their primary function is to keep some tension on the whole assembly under suspension rebound. That said, I'll also bet that there's some operating range for the suspension where the helpers are being used and the main springs aren't... I guess that's why it takes computers to analyze a modern suspension.

What I do know though is that extreme lowering using just the springs is a bad thing. The suspension is designed to swing through a specific arc. At the design points, the wheel "gains" camber as the suspension compresses. This is critical to keeping the wheels as upright as possible when the car rolls in a turn. If you slam the car down with short springs/extreme coilover adjustments, then you put the suspension at a different camber operating point and this can be bad for handing. This is why many race cars are lowered by re-positioning the spindles rather than just going with short springs.

Doug
dougmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Docdanracy

actually many race cars operate on shorter much (#####) heavier springs, shorter shock/strut bodies, raised spindles and raised suspension pickup points all to lower the CG.
Lowering the car with just springs, decreases the usable amount of suspension travel before bottoming out on the shock. When this happens you go from a spring rate of say 200#s to a virtual spring rate of infinity since you have bottomed out the suspenion and are metal to metal....greatly changes the handling characteristics of the car. My old 914 was set up in this mode on purpose. I never completely bottomed out the suspension, but it did get very close.
On smooth venues like Alameda and Marina, this is not a problem....for venues like Candleslick, suspension travel is important.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2021, 06:16 AM   #9
bahamianiridescent

I'll also bet that there's some operating range for the suspension where the helpers are being used and the main springs aren't.

- Concrete Masonry
bahamianiridescent is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman