Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 7th, 2001, 09:23 AM   #1
Tom S

Impressions of Carlsen Swapmeet last Sunday.

I've made it a point to drop by for 2 hours each August for the annual Swapmeet. Sometimes someone brings out an unusual car and this time, as Scott mentioned in another post, there were some real gems. The Ruf R-GT is probably the first in private hands in the US. It's based on a GT3 with Ruf modifications. The brakes are Alcon with 6-pot calipers in front and 4-pot in the rear. The titainium full roll cage was really neat covered in Alacanta. 19" Ruf wheels are pretty neat. The owner is the source of the Ruf Reunion @ Quail Lodge is 2 weeks.

The GT2 has an interesting story. It is part of the 4 GT2 car purchase by a guy in Napa and Carlsen asked for one to be displayed. It is a ROW car that has to be federalized. I believe the sale price is just above $200K after compliance modifications. This is certainly a rare car as Bill Hodges from Suncoast says only 104 are allocated to the US. BTW, the owner has a 959 and a 935 (the old Sachs sponsored) in the garage. I'm working on him bringing them down to Hillsborough next Spring when Porsche is featured.

The 936 and 924 GTR in the showroom are owned by a local collector and have been around here for years. There are more classic Porsche racing cars in the shop & I'm working on a visit for the BABBLERS. They are busy preparing the Porsches for the Monterey Historics.

I have pictures of the cars still in my camera and will post as soon as I can.

Tom S.
Old August 7th, 2001, 09:32 AM   #2
Tom S

Forgot to mention...

wandering around the swap portion one vendor was pitching Boxster parts. He wanted $900 for 17" wheels & tires (I think too pricy) and had various interior parts in silver or in that brushed silver (P70 ?) sport option. Looks like a few Boxsters are being parted out. Natural to have more presence in these Porsche parts meets. I just didn't think it would be so soon! (frown)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

Tom S.
Old August 7th, 2001, 10:11 AM   #3
Magic Mtn Dan

Thanks Tom - it's wonderful to have you involved...

in the BABBLERS! You're a terrific fountain of automotive information on Porsches and other cars, old and new.

If you can get the BABBLERS a visit to see some classic Porsche racing cars, I'm sure we'd all be very grateful!
Old August 7th, 2001, 06:23 PM   #4
scottinredwoodcity

Porsche knowledge...

Tom - you are without a doubt a text book on wheels. Thanks so much for sharing the info. Do you know of any nice, Porsche vintage racers on the sale block?
Old August 7th, 2001, 11:36 PM   #5
Tom S.

Do you mean 356's?

Check the local PCA newsletter Golden Gate Region. For cars with more history, check out Vintage magazine at Borders or Tower Books. My opinion is the 356 is the cheapest method to getting into vintage racing, but don't think you can be accepted into Steve Earle's show. The car must have a good provanence. The most interesting Porsche I personally am aware of for sale is the 959 Paris/Dakar factory racecar held by a Swiss bank after a client went under. It's being shopped around for about $200K. But very little market for a 4 wheel off road Porsche racecar! (smile)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

Tom S.
Old August 9th, 2001, 07:27 AM   #6
scottinredwoodcity

Re: Do you mean 356's?

I'm not worried about running at Monterey. I understand from other vintage owners that the show is tough to get into even if you have a factory racer. 356 or maybe a late 60's vintage. Even thinking of other maques. for shame! If I had 200k for a toy, i'd be driving something red and Italian. thanks!
Old July 17th, 2021, 07:00 AM   #7
richardsjenkins70

Looks like a few Boxsters are being parted out. Natural to have more presence in these Porsche parts meets.

- Metal Roofing
richardsjenkins70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman