Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 13th, 2002, 05:20 AM   #1
Bill S

Speed dependent volume control

I wonder if I don't understand the SDVC. I have done the hack because the sdvc seems weak when you have the DSP option.
My CDR 200 manual (manuell?) describes the GAL settings as:
00 - no volume control
01 - minimal volume adjustment
07 - maximal volume adjustment

However, the pdf file for the CDR 200 from the becker web site says:
Gal off - no volume adjustment
Gal 1 - volume adjustment initiated at low speed
Gal 7 - volume adjustment initiated at high speed
With the GAL setting, the start of volume adjustment can be specified according to vehicle speed.
These two descriptions are very different!!

Bill S
Old January 13th, 2002, 06:52 AM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Hi Bill - perhaps this will answer your questions...

This is how Tom & I did the SDV hack - it works great!

Click here for the Speed Dependent Volume Hack description
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:07 AM   #3
Bill S

Re: Hi Bill - perhaps this will answer your questions...

Thanks...
Allready did the hack.
My question is whether the sdvc has louder settings as the number ( 0-7) increases, or whether the sdvc kicks in at lower speeds, as described in the CDR220 pdf on the Becker site?
Guess I should play around with it
Bill S
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:42 AM   #4
Doug MacKenzie

Re: Speed dependent volume control

Bill,

I did the hack some time ago. My experience is that the amount of volume change alters, not the speed at which the change occurs. I usually notice the volume change at about 45 MPH. I usually run with it set at 7 in the summer when I nearly always have the top down and at a lower number at other times of the year when I usually have the top up. I run it at 0 when my wife's in the car with me because the mechanism drives her crazy.

Doug
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:46 AM   #5
Martin in Miami

Re: Speed dependent volume control

I think the Becker 220 has a varible by intensity........ which I set midway between top up and top down settings, South Florida being what it is.
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:54 AM   #6
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

My findings show that the point where

the increase in volume begins does not change with the setting. The higher values simply move the "maximum increase" point up. In other words, the higher values provide a larger dynamic range to the volume. It doesn't seem to have any real "top speed" as it continues to get louder as you reach triple digits on the speedo.
Old July 17th, 2021, 07:01 AM   #7
richardsjenkins70

I usually run with it set at 7 in the summer when I nearly always have the top down and at a lower number at other times of the year when I usually have the top up.

- Hardscape Contractor
richardsjenkins70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman